Jul 24, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
We wrote last week about Gilbert Brule and the former sixth overall draft pick’s hopes of getting another shot in the NHL.
Well, good news — he got one.
According to Oilers radio analyst Bob Stauffer, Brule will attend Coyotes training camp, presumably on a tryout basis.
Brule, 26, played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
Obviously, the Coyotes saw something they liked when he was with them. He also appeared in 12 playoff games that season, scoring a pair of goals as Phoenix made it all the way to the conference finals.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he told The Province recently. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)