Jul 24, 2013, 4:51 PM EST
We wrote last week about Gilbert Brule and the former sixth overall draft pick’s hopes of getting another shot in the NHL.
Well, good news — he got one.
According to Oilers radio analyst Bob Stauffer, Brule will attend Coyotes training camp, presumably on a tryout basis.
Brule, 26, played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
Obviously, the Coyotes saw something they liked when he was with them. He also appeared in 12 playoff games that season, scoring a pair of goals as Phoenix made it all the way to the conference finals.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he told The Province recently. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)