Jul 24, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
We wrote last week about Gilbert Brule and the former sixth overall draft pick’s hopes of getting another shot in the NHL.
Well, good news — he got one.
According to Oilers radio analyst Bob Stauffer, Brule will attend Coyotes training camp, presumably on a tryout basis.
Brule, 26, played 33 regular-season games for the Coyotes in 2011-12, scoring five goals with nine assists; however, Phoenix did not tender him a qualifying offer after the season, making him an unrestricted free agent.
Brule then signed with Zurich last summer, but was released after just 14 games with the Swiss club.
Obviously, the Coyotes saw something they liked when he was with them. He also appeared in 12 playoff games that season, scoring a pair of goals as Phoenix made it all the way to the conference finals.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he told The Province recently. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)