Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Certainly worth a minute of your time is this piece on Gilbert Brule by The Province’s Tony Gallagher.
Brule, as you probably know, was drafted sixth overall by Columbus in 2005 after a standout junior career with the Vancouver Giants. However, his pro career has been a major disappointment, with just 95 points in 296 games for the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Coyotes.
Now 26, Brule’s not giving up on his NHL dream and is looking to put his troubles, largely related to his father, behind him.
“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be,” he said. “But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.”
Brule accuses his father of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
There’s more in the story, but we’ll let you read it for yourself.
For now, he’s hoping for an NHL tryout.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he said. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
Related: Gilbert Brule cut by Swiss team
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)