Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Certainly worth a minute of your time is this piece on Gilbert Brule by The Province’s Tony Gallagher.
Brule, as you probably know, was drafted sixth overall by Columbus in 2005 after a standout junior career with the Vancouver Giants. However, his pro career has been a major disappointment, with just 95 points in 296 games for the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Coyotes.
Now 26, Brule’s not giving up on his NHL dream and is looking to put his troubles, largely related to his father, behind him.
“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be,” he said. “But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.”
Brule accuses his father of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
There’s more in the story, but we’ll let you read it for yourself.
For now, he’s hoping for an NHL tryout.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he said. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
Related: Gilbert Brule cut by Swiss team
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)