Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Certainly worth a minute of your time is this piece on Gilbert Brule by The Province’s Tony Gallagher.
Brule, as you probably know, was drafted sixth overall by Columbus in 2005 after a standout junior career with the Vancouver Giants. However, his pro career has been a major disappointment, with just 95 points in 296 games for the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Coyotes.
Now 26, Brule’s not giving up on his NHL dream and is looking to put his troubles, largely related to his father, behind him.
“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be,” he said. “But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.”
Brule accuses his father of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
There’s more in the story, but we’ll let you read it for yourself.
For now, he’s hoping for an NHL tryout.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he said. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
Related: Gilbert Brule cut by Swiss team
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)