Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Certainly worth a minute of your time is this piece on Gilbert Brule by The Province’s Tony Gallagher.
Brule, as you probably know, was drafted sixth overall by Columbus in 2005 after a standout junior career with the Vancouver Giants. However, his pro career has been a major disappointment, with just 95 points in 296 games for the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Coyotes.
Now 26, Brule’s not giving up on his NHL dream and is looking to put his troubles, largely related to his father, behind him.
“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be,” he said. “But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.”
Brule accuses his father of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
There’s more in the story, but we’ll let you read it for yourself.
For now, he’s hoping for an NHL tryout.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he said. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
Related: Gilbert Brule cut by Swiss team
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)