Jul 17, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
Certainly worth a minute of your time is this piece on Gilbert Brule by The Province’s Tony Gallagher.
Brule, as you probably know, was drafted sixth overall by Columbus in 2005 after a standout junior career with the Vancouver Giants. However, his pro career has been a major disappointment, with just 95 points in 296 games for the Blue Jackets, Oilers and Coyotes.
Now 26, Brule’s not giving up on his NHL dream and is looking to put his troubles, largely related to his father, behind him.
“At one point, my father and I were very close, as father and son should be,” he said. “But now, basically, we don’t have a relationship. Now we just email on occasion.”
Brule accuses his father of taking money from him and even “making suggestions there were some pictures on my computer that could be shown” — allegations his father denies.
There’s more in the story, but we’ll let you read it for yourself.
For now, he’s hoping for an NHL tryout.
“A lot of teams now think of me as a guy who is going to run around and hit guys, and I know often in that third-line role you need a guy who’s going to provide energy,” he said. “But they forget I have some skill, which is why I was drafted where I was.”
Related: Gilbert Brule cut by Swiss team
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 0
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 34
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 15
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)