Oct 23, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Gilbert Brule’s escape to Switzerland to play hockey ended poorly.
The guy most known for picking up a hitchhiking Bono was cut by the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League. There he played for former NHL coach Marc Crawford and wound up not scoring a goal and adding just six assists in 14 games for Zurich.
Brule has had a rather tumultuous career since being drafted sixth overall in the 2005 draft by Columbus. He’s been rushed to the NHL, had poor play and injuries sideline his career. His signing in Switzerland came at a time he was an unrestricted free agent looking for work after sort of getting his career back on track with Phoenix.
Now he’s free to sign anywhere once again, but you have to wonder if anyone will take a chance on him now.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)