Oct 23, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
Gilbert Brule’s escape to Switzerland to play hockey ended poorly.
The guy most known for picking up a hitchhiking Bono was cut by the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League. There he played for former NHL coach Marc Crawford and wound up not scoring a goal and adding just six assists in 14 games for Zurich.
Brule has had a rather tumultuous career since being drafted sixth overall in the 2005 draft by Columbus. He’s been rushed to the NHL, had poor play and injuries sideline his career. His signing in Switzerland came at a time he was an unrestricted free agent looking for work after sort of getting his career back on track with Phoenix.
Now he’s free to sign anywhere once again, but you have to wonder if anyone will take a chance on him now.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)