Oct 23, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
Gilbert Brule’s escape to Switzerland to play hockey ended poorly.
The guy most known for picking up a hitchhiking Bono was cut by the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League. There he played for former NHL coach Marc Crawford and wound up not scoring a goal and adding just six assists in 14 games for Zurich.
Brule has had a rather tumultuous career since being drafted sixth overall in the 2005 draft by Columbus. He’s been rushed to the NHL, had poor play and injuries sideline his career. His signing in Switzerland came at a time he was an unrestricted free agent looking for work after sort of getting his career back on track with Phoenix.
Now he’s free to sign anywhere once again, but you have to wonder if anyone will take a chance on him now.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)