Oct 23, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
Gilbert Brule’s escape to Switzerland to play hockey ended poorly.
The guy most known for picking up a hitchhiking Bono was cut by the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League. There he played for former NHL coach Marc Crawford and wound up not scoring a goal and adding just six assists in 14 games for Zurich.
Brule has had a rather tumultuous career since being drafted sixth overall in the 2005 draft by Columbus. He’s been rushed to the NHL, had poor play and injuries sideline his career. His signing in Switzerland came at a time he was an unrestricted free agent looking for work after sort of getting his career back on track with Phoenix.
Now he’s free to sign anywhere once again, but you have to wonder if anyone will take a chance on him now.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)