Jul 12, 2013, 7:22 PM EDT
After keeping a low profile about the future of his hockey career, Roberto Luongo has spoken. Finally. Maybe.
The Vancouver Canucks goalie who was not traded at the draft – you may recall Cory Schneider was dealt to New Jersey for the ninth overall pick – had not spoken about anything hockey related in quite some time, prompting many in the Vancouver media and Canucks fan base to speculate as to why and when Luongo would break his silence.
He had conducted interviews about poker, a game he loves, having just competed in the World Series of Poker.
On Friday, we may have gotten an answer as to other, more lucrative job, and that’s hockey.
A tweet appeared on the famous @strombone1 Twitter account, which is widely believed to be Luongo’s humorous social media tool, referencing Canucks general manager Mike Gillis.
Gillis is expected to meet with Luongo down in Florida in the near future. The two will likely talk about Luongo’s options with the Canucks, and whether he’ll return to play goal in Vancouver next season.
“Roberto and I have a very good relationship,” Gillis said earlier this week. “We’ll be able to talk about all the issues. I’ll know more when I see him.”
Luongo is currently in a 12-year, $64 million contract with the Canucks.
He was at the center of trade speculation for more than a year, ever since Schneider took over the starting goaltender duties from Luongo during the first round of the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs.
But the contract has proved impossible to move, despite Gillis’ previous belief he could make a deal with a goalie locked to long-term deal.
Even at his season-ending press conference, Gillis said it was “unlikely” Luongo is back with the Canucks for next season.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)