Jun 30, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
New Jersey has acquired goaltender Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks in return for the Devils’ ninth overall pick.
So many storylines to this deal…
Let’s start with the Devils, who get an eventual successor for future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur. Schneider is 27 years old and signed for two more seasons ($4 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Brodeur, 41, has one year left on his contract.
For the Canucks, it leaves them with Roberto Luongo as their starting goalie for next season and beyond. How does the 34-year-old feel about all this? It was widely reported he desired a fresh start elsewhere; however, Vancouver was unable to work out a trade due to his sizable contract.
“Today’s decision was made after a thorough review of our options and in the interest of improving this team long-term through the draft and development of players,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “We appreciate the high level of professionalism and conduct both Cory and Roberto have shown while continuing to help this team be competitive. I would like to personally thank Cory for his contributions to our team and wish him the very best and a bright future.”
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Gillis did not speak with Luongo prior to trading Schneider.
Vancouver selected center Bo Horvat from OHL London with the ninth pick.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)