Jun 30, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
New Jersey has acquired goaltender Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks in return for the Devils’ ninth overall pick.
So many storylines to this deal…
Let’s start with the Devils, who get an eventual successor for future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur. Schneider is 27 years old and signed for two more seasons ($4 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Brodeur, 41, has one year left on his contract.
For the Canucks, it leaves them with Roberto Luongo as their starting goalie for next season and beyond. How does the 34-year-old feel about all this? It was widely reported he desired a fresh start elsewhere; however, Vancouver was unable to work out a trade due to his sizable contract.
“Today’s decision was made after a thorough review of our options and in the interest of improving this team long-term through the draft and development of players,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “We appreciate the high level of professionalism and conduct both Cory and Roberto have shown while continuing to help this team be competitive. I would like to personally thank Cory for his contributions to our team and wish him the very best and a bright future.”
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Gillis did not speak with Luongo prior to trading Schneider.
Vancouver selected center Bo Horvat from OHL London with the ninth pick.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 0
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 9
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 18
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)