Jun 30, 2013, 4:01 PM EST
New Jersey has acquired goaltender Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks in return for the Devils’ ninth overall pick.
So many storylines to this deal…
Let’s start with the Devils, who get an eventual successor for future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur. Schneider is 27 years old and signed for two more seasons ($4 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Brodeur, 41, has one year left on his contract.
For the Canucks, it leaves them with Roberto Luongo as their starting goalie for next season and beyond. How does the 34-year-old feel about all this? It was widely reported he desired a fresh start elsewhere; however, Vancouver was unable to work out a trade due to his sizable contract.
“Today’s decision was made after a thorough review of our options and in the interest of improving this team long-term through the draft and development of players,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “We appreciate the high level of professionalism and conduct both Cory and Roberto have shown while continuing to help this team be competitive. I would like to personally thank Cory for his contributions to our team and wish him the very best and a bright future.”
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Gillis did not speak with Luongo prior to trading Schneider.
Vancouver selected center Bo Horvat from OHL London with the ninth pick.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)