Jun 30, 2013, 4:01 PM EDT
New Jersey has acquired goaltender Cory Schneider from the Vancouver Canucks in return for the Devils’ ninth overall pick.
So many storylines to this deal…
Let’s start with the Devils, who get an eventual successor for future Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur. Schneider is 27 years old and signed for two more seasons ($4 million cap hit) before he can become an unrestricted free agent. Brodeur, 41, has one year left on his contract.
For the Canucks, it leaves them with Roberto Luongo as their starting goalie for next season and beyond. How does the 34-year-old feel about all this? It was widely reported he desired a fresh start elsewhere; however, Vancouver was unable to work out a trade due to his sizable contract.
“Today’s decision was made after a thorough review of our options and in the interest of improving this team long-term through the draft and development of players,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a release. “We appreciate the high level of professionalism and conduct both Cory and Roberto have shown while continuing to help this team be competitive. I would like to personally thank Cory for his contributions to our team and wish him the very best and a bright future.”
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Gillis did not speak with Luongo prior to trading Schneider.
Vancouver selected center Bo Horvat from OHL London with the ninth pick.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)