Jul 11, 2013, 5:33 PM EDT
Now that Roberto Luongo has busted out of the World Series of Poker and things have quieted down on the free-agency front, it’s about time for Canucks general manager Mike Gillis to fly down to Florida and make nice with his only remaining starting goalie.
Gillis confirmed today on TEAM 1040 radio that he planned to visit Luongo “in the next little bit.” The two have only spoken on the phone since Cory Schneider was traded at the draft.
“Roberto and I have a very good relationship,” Gillis said. “We’ll be able to talk about all the issues. I’ll know more when I see him.”
When asked if there was any concern that Luongo is unhappy, Gillis tried to quell any talk of a holdout.
“I’m sure he’ll remain a professional and he’ll act in the best interests of his hockey team and himself,” he said.
Last week, Gillis told reporters that Luongo, 34, had two options heading into next season: play or don’t play.
Gillis also indicated he wants Luongo to know why the situation played out like it did, a comment that suggests the GM does indeed have a bit of a sales job to do.
“I will talk about the whole environment,” he said. “There has been so much stuff which has been misrepresented in what’s gone on here.
“I want to make sure he’s absolutely clear about us and our motivation and what was going on.
“It was a situation that got really complicated because of the lockout. I think people don’t understand the level of complexity that occurred because of the changes in the CBA with respect to these contracts.”
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 0
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 10
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 40
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38