Jul 11, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
For now, Bo Horvat is known simply in Vancouver as the kid the Canucks got for goalie Cory Schneider.
The Canucks are obviously hoping he’ll be known for more than that eventually, otherwise their big draft-day trade with the Devils (Schneider for New Jersey’s ninth overall pick) has probably turned out poorly.
Horvat, in Vancouver this week for prospects’ camp, spoke to reporters yesterday about the weight of expectations.
“I don’t think there is any pressure,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. It’s always going to be out there and everyone is going to be asking how I feel about it.
“I’m just going out there and playing my game and do what I do best. I want to focus on my game and prove I can be part of the Vancouver Canuck organization and prove to everyone they made the right decision.”
Horvat — who was outsanding in the most recent OHL playoffs for the London Knights — will have a great opportunity to make the Canucks next season as an 18-year-old center. With no space to fit big-name free agents under the salary cap, Vancouver is desperate to get contributions from its prospects.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)