Jul 11, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
For now, Bo Horvat is known simply in Vancouver as the kid the Canucks got for goalie Cory Schneider.
The Canucks are obviously hoping he’ll be known for more than that eventually, otherwise their big draft-day trade with the Devils (Schneider for New Jersey’s ninth overall pick) has probably turned out poorly.
Horvat, in Vancouver this week for prospects’ camp, spoke to reporters yesterday about the weight of expectations.
“I don’t think there is any pressure,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. It’s always going to be out there and everyone is going to be asking how I feel about it.
“I’m just going out there and playing my game and do what I do best. I want to focus on my game and prove I can be part of the Vancouver Canuck organization and prove to everyone they made the right decision.”
Horvat — who was outsanding in the most recent OHL playoffs for the London Knights — will have a great opportunity to make the Canucks next season as an 18-year-old center. With no space to fit big-name free agents under the salary cap, Vancouver is desperate to get contributions from its prospects.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (46)