Jul 11, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
For now, Bo Horvat is known simply in Vancouver as the kid the Canucks got for goalie Cory Schneider.
The Canucks are obviously hoping he’ll be known for more than that eventually, otherwise their big draft-day trade with the Devils (Schneider for New Jersey’s ninth overall pick) has probably turned out poorly.
Horvat, in Vancouver this week for prospects’ camp, spoke to reporters yesterday about the weight of expectations.
“I don’t think there is any pressure,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. It’s always going to be out there and everyone is going to be asking how I feel about it.
“I’m just going out there and playing my game and do what I do best. I want to focus on my game and prove I can be part of the Vancouver Canuck organization and prove to everyone they made the right decision.”
Horvat — who was outsanding in the most recent OHL playoffs for the London Knights — will have a great opportunity to make the Canucks next season as an 18-year-old center. With no space to fit big-name free agents under the salary cap, Vancouver is desperate to get contributions from its prospects.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)