Jul 11, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
For now, Bo Horvat is known simply in Vancouver as the kid the Canucks got for goalie Cory Schneider.
The Canucks are obviously hoping he’ll be known for more than that eventually, otherwise their big draft-day trade with the Devils (Schneider for New Jersey’s ninth overall pick) has probably turned out poorly.
Horvat, in Vancouver this week for prospects’ camp, spoke to reporters yesterday about the weight of expectations.
“I don’t think there is any pressure,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. It’s always going to be out there and everyone is going to be asking how I feel about it.
“I’m just going out there and playing my game and do what I do best. I want to focus on my game and prove I can be part of the Vancouver Canuck organization and prove to everyone they made the right decision.”
Horvat — who was outsanding in the most recent OHL playoffs for the London Knights — will have a great opportunity to make the Canucks next season as an 18-year-old center. With no space to fit big-name free agents under the salary cap, Vancouver is desperate to get contributions from its prospects.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)