Jul 11, 2013, 12:44 PM EDT
For now, Bo Horvat is known simply in Vancouver as the kid the Canucks got for goalie Cory Schneider.
The Canucks are obviously hoping he’ll be known for more than that eventually, otherwise their big draft-day trade with the Devils (Schneider for New Jersey’s ninth overall pick) has probably turned out poorly.
Horvat, in Vancouver this week for prospects’ camp, spoke to reporters yesterday about the weight of expectations.
“I don’t think there is any pressure,” he said, per the Canadian Press. “I’m trying not to think about it too much. It’s always going to be out there and everyone is going to be asking how I feel about it.
“I’m just going out there and playing my game and do what I do best. I want to focus on my game and prove I can be part of the Vancouver Canuck organization and prove to everyone they made the right decision.”
Horvat — who was outsanding in the most recent OHL playoffs for the London Knights — will have a great opportunity to make the Canucks next season as an 18-year-old center. With no space to fit big-name free agents under the salary cap, Vancouver is desperate to get contributions from its prospects.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)