Jul 10, 2013, 12:09 PM EDT
When the Oilers hired Craig MacTavish to be their new GM, he called himself an “impatient guy” prepared to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in rapid fashion.”
Well, things haven’t gone exactly to plan.
And now MacT is getting antsy.
“I’m a little frustrated,” he told the Edmonton Journal. “I had certain objectives in mind, and I think I’m going to be able to accomplish some of those things, but it doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to accomplish all the things that I wanted to.”
What he wanted to accomplish — the aforementioned “bold moves” — never came to fruition.
MacTavish was either unable to or refused to move the No. 7 overall pick at the draft, and ended up taking OHL Sault Ste. Marie product Darnell Nurse, a tantalizing prospect but one that’s a few years away from helping the big club.
The Oilers then missed on a number of high-profile targets in free agency — David Clarkson chief among them — and ended up with a handful of solid, but hardly spectacular signings: Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon and Jason LaBarbera.
As for trades, there was just one — shipping captain Shawn Horcoff to Dallas in what amounted to a salary dump, as the Oilers only received defenseman Philip Larsen and a 2016 seventh-round pick in return.
MacT also re-signed Ryan Jones and held onto Ales Hemsky (pegged as a likely trade candidate). He’s also going down to the wire in contract talks with Sam Gagner, who has salary arbitration rights.
That said, the Oilers GM still thinks he can make that big move.
“I’m trying to get the right piece or another piece that would start to excite me in terms of how our team is shaping up,” MacTavish said.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)