Jul 9, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
But today, a couple of weeks (and a whole lot of other Oilers news) later, a deal has yet to be signed.
According to general manager Craig MacTavish, the next step in the process could be arbitration.
“I would think that Sam would (go to arbitration),” MacTavish said. “We’re still hopeful that we can get a deal done soon.”
Gagner, 25, finished second in team scoring last year with 14 goals and 24 assists.
For the Oilers, the problem with going to arbitration is that the maximum term that could be awarded is one year, which would leave the talented center — who’s already got six NHL seasons under his belt — a pending unrestricted free agent.
We’ve seen these games of chicken before in RFA negotiations. If Gagner truly wants to be in Edmonton, it’s hard to imagine the two sides don’t negotiate a long-term deal by themselves.
Still, we’ll be keeping an eye on this story. A trade isn’t out of the realm of possibility.
Of note, the deadline for players to file for arbitration is tomorrow at 5 p.m. If Gagner does file, a deal could still be reached after that, prior to the actual hearing.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)