Jun 14, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
When jaw-punching wasn’t being discussed, TSN’s Insider Trading segment produced some intriguing reports on Friday, including word that the Boston Bruins hope to lock up Patrice Bergeron to a lengthy contract extension this summer.
Pierre LeBrun reports that it could be an eight-year deal for the 27-year-old whose current $5 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season.
Such a pact would keep the 2012 Selke Trophy winner (and 2013 nominee) in Beantown for the remainder of his prime years, if not the rest of his career.
Bergeron is currently on a four-game point streak (three goals and two assists) to go along with his renowned work in the faceoff circle and generally stout defensive play. Quite a few of his six postseason goals have been memorable, especially one that Toronto Maple Leafs fans are unlikely to forget.
The two-way center has a worrisome concussion history, but his versatile play is crucial to Boston’s success, so locking him up makes a lot of sense.
Even so, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli might have more immediate concerns this summer in the form of players with expiring contracts. Tuukka Rask will be a restricted free agent and Nathan Horton could command a big raise considering his playoff production and unrestricted status.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)