Jun 14, 2013, 9:13 PM EST
When jaw-punching wasn’t being discussed, TSN’s Insider Trading segment produced some intriguing reports on Friday, including word that the Boston Bruins hope to lock up Patrice Bergeron to a lengthy contract extension this summer.
Pierre LeBrun reports that it could be an eight-year deal for the 27-year-old whose current $5 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season.
Such a pact would keep the 2012 Selke Trophy winner (and 2013 nominee) in Beantown for the remainder of his prime years, if not the rest of his career.
Bergeron is currently on a four-game point streak (three goals and two assists) to go along with his renowned work in the faceoff circle and generally stout defensive play. Quite a few of his six postseason goals have been memorable, especially one that Toronto Maple Leafs fans are unlikely to forget.
The two-way center has a worrisome concussion history, but his versatile play is crucial to Boston’s success, so locking him up makes a lot of sense.
Even so, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli might have more immediate concerns this summer in the form of players with expiring contracts. Tuukka Rask will be a restricted free agent and Nathan Horton could command a big raise considering his playoff production and unrestricted status.
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 21
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 16
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 65
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 16
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)