Jun 14, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
When jaw-punching wasn’t being discussed, TSN’s Insider Trading segment produced some intriguing reports on Friday, including word that the Boston Bruins hope to lock up Patrice Bergeron to a lengthy contract extension this summer.
Pierre LeBrun reports that it could be an eight-year deal for the 27-year-old whose current $5 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season.
Such a pact would keep the 2012 Selke Trophy winner (and 2013 nominee) in Beantown for the remainder of his prime years, if not the rest of his career.
Bergeron is currently on a four-game point streak (three goals and two assists) to go along with his renowned work in the faceoff circle and generally stout defensive play. Quite a few of his six postseason goals have been memorable, especially one that Toronto Maple Leafs fans are unlikely to forget.
The two-way center has a worrisome concussion history, but his versatile play is crucial to Boston’s success, so locking him up makes a lot of sense.
Even so, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli might have more immediate concerns this summer in the form of players with expiring contracts. Tuukka Rask will be a restricted free agent and Nathan Horton could command a big raise considering his playoff production and unrestricted status.
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 1
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 18
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 13
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)