Jun 14, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
When jaw-punching wasn’t being discussed, TSN’s Insider Trading segment produced some intriguing reports on Friday, including word that the Boston Bruins hope to lock up Patrice Bergeron to a lengthy contract extension this summer.
Pierre LeBrun reports that it could be an eight-year deal for the 27-year-old whose current $5 million cap hit expires after the 2013-14 season.
Such a pact would keep the 2012 Selke Trophy winner (and 2013 nominee) in Beantown for the remainder of his prime years, if not the rest of his career.
Bergeron is currently on a four-game point streak (three goals and two assists) to go along with his renowned work in the faceoff circle and generally stout defensive play. Quite a few of his six postseason goals have been memorable, especially one that Toronto Maple Leafs fans are unlikely to forget.
The two-way center has a worrisome concussion history, but his versatile play is crucial to Boston’s success, so locking him up makes a lot of sense.
Even so, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli might have more immediate concerns this summer in the form of players with expiring contracts. Tuukka Rask will be a restricted free agent and Nathan Horton could command a big raise considering his playoff production and unrestricted status.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 0
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)