Jun 14, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews has won his first-ever Frank J. Selke trophy as the league’s best defensive forward, beating out Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk — a three-time winner — and last year’s winner, Patrice Bergeron.
The win comes after Toews finished second to Vancouver’s Ryan Kesler for the award in 2011.
“Captain Serious” finished third in the NHL with a plus-28 rating this season and tied for the league lead in takeaways, with 56. He boasted a stellar 59.9 faceoff winning percentage and was a key part of Chicago’s penalty kill, which was the third best during the regular season.
With the win, Toews becomes just the third Chicago forward to win the award, joining Dirk Graham (1990-91) and Troy Murray (1985-86).
Top 10 voting results for 2013 Selke
(1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place votes in parentheses)
1. Jonathan Toews, CHI 1260 (75-51-20-16-5)
2. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 1250 (78-44-24-12-6)
3. Pavel Datsyuk, DET 737 (8-37-58-31-15)
4. Anze Kopitar, L.A. 266 (4-7-19-25-7)
5. David Backes, STL 240 (3-10-12-17-29)
6. Jay McClement, TOR 142 (4-2-7-13-14)
7. Pascal Dupuis, PIT 111 (4-3-5-6-7)
8. Ryan Callahan, NYR 101 (1-3-6-8-16)
9. Derek Stepan, NYR 98 (1-2-5-14-7)
10. Marian Hossa, CHI 78 (1-4-3-4-13)
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)