Jun 14, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
For a brief but memorable span of the second period of Game 1 in the Eastern Conference finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins seemed to lose their minds against the Boston Bruins. Sidney Crosby was among the angriest participants, venting his anger at Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask.
TSN’s Insider Trading segment revealed a possible explanation on Friday: the Penguins provided video evidence (around the 3:40 mark) of Chara punching Crosby in the jaw.
Yup, the same jaw that was broken by a puck earlier this season.
Here’s a screencap that captures the moment:
Darren Dreger questioned Chara about the incident, but he seemed to deny the situation (or at least emphasized that he didn’t receive a penalty). These kinds of things happen during the heat of the moment during a hockey game, but it’s clear that the franchise – if not the player – is still a little upset about the incident.
Here’s a clip of some of the heated exchanges during Game 1:
Either way, the teams moved on after Game 1. However those moments added to a general distaste between the two teams, it’s worth noting that the two captains shook hands after the sweep was complete, which Getty Images captured:
Maybe it’s just water under the bridge and fodder for Ludacris Youtube videos, then?
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (65)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)