Jun 14, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
For a brief but memorable span of the second period of Game 1 in the Eastern Conference finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins seemed to lose their minds against the Boston Bruins. Sidney Crosby was among the angriest participants, venting his anger at Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask.
TSN’s Insider Trading segment revealed a possible explanation on Friday: the Penguins provided video evidence (around the 3:40 mark) of Chara punching Crosby in the jaw.
Yup, the same jaw that was broken by a puck earlier this season.
Here’s a screencap that captures the moment:
Darren Dreger questioned Chara about the incident, but he seemed to deny the situation (or at least emphasized that he didn’t receive a penalty). These kinds of things happen during the heat of the moment during a hockey game, but it’s clear that the franchise – if not the player – is still a little upset about the incident.
Here’s a clip of some of the heated exchanges during Game 1:
Either way, the teams moved on after Game 1. However those moments added to a general distaste between the two teams, it’s worth noting that the two captains shook hands after the sweep was complete, which Getty Images captured:
Maybe it’s just water under the bridge and fodder for Ludacris Youtube videos, then?
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)