Jun 14, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
For a brief but memorable span of the second period of Game 1 in the Eastern Conference finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins seemed to lose their minds against the Boston Bruins. Sidney Crosby was among the angriest participants, venting his anger at Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask.
TSN’s Insider Trading segment revealed a possible explanation on Friday: the Penguins provided video evidence (around the 3:40 mark) of Chara punching Crosby in the jaw.
Yup, the same jaw that was broken by a puck earlier this season.
Here’s a screencap that captures the moment:
Darren Dreger questioned Chara about the incident, but he seemed to deny the situation (or at least emphasized that he didn’t receive a penalty). These kinds of things happen during the heat of the moment during a hockey game, but it’s clear that the franchise – if not the player – is still a little upset about the incident.
Here’s a clip of some of the heated exchanges during Game 1:
Either way, the teams moved on after Game 1. However those moments added to a general distaste between the two teams, it’s worth noting that the two captains shook hands after the sweep was complete, which Getty Images captured:
Maybe it’s just water under the bridge and fodder for Ludacris Youtube videos, then?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)