Jun 14, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
For a brief but memorable span of the second period of Game 1 in the Eastern Conference finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins seemed to lose their minds against the Boston Bruins. Sidney Crosby was among the angriest participants, venting his anger at Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask.
TSN’s Insider Trading segment revealed a possible explanation on Friday: the Penguins provided video evidence (around the 3:40 mark) of Chara punching Crosby in the jaw.
Yup, the same jaw that was broken by a puck earlier this season.
Here’s a screencap that captures the moment:
Darren Dreger questioned Chara about the incident, but he seemed to deny the situation (or at least emphasized that he didn’t receive a penalty). These kinds of things happen during the heat of the moment during a hockey game, but it’s clear that the franchise – if not the player – is still a little upset about the incident.
Here’s a clip of some of the heated exchanges during Game 1:
Either way, the teams moved on after Game 1. However those moments added to a general distaste between the two teams, it’s worth noting that the two captains shook hands after the sweep was complete, which Getty Images captured:
Maybe it’s just water under the bridge and fodder for Ludacris Youtube videos, then?
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25