Jun 14, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
For a brief but memorable span of the second period of Game 1 in the Eastern Conference finals, the Pittsburgh Penguins seemed to lose their minds against the Boston Bruins. Sidney Crosby was among the angriest participants, venting his anger at Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask.
TSN’s Insider Trading segment revealed a possible explanation on Friday: the Penguins provided video evidence (around the 3:40 mark) of Chara punching Crosby in the jaw.
Yup, the same jaw that was broken by a puck earlier this season.
Here’s a screencap that captures the moment:
Darren Dreger questioned Chara about the incident, but he seemed to deny the situation (or at least emphasized that he didn’t receive a penalty). These kinds of things happen during the heat of the moment during a hockey game, but it’s clear that the franchise – if not the player – is still a little upset about the incident.
Here’s a clip of some of the heated exchanges during Game 1:
Either way, the teams moved on after Game 1. However those moments added to a general distaste between the two teams, it’s worth noting that the two captains shook hands after the sweep was complete, which Getty Images captured:
Maybe it’s just water under the bridge and fodder for Ludacris Youtube videos, then?
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39