Jun 7, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT
It appears as though another Washington Capitals free agent could be on his way out of town.
“There has been no progress at all. We haven’t even talked,” Hendricks’s agent, Michael Wulkan explained. “Matt said from day one that his preference is to stay in Washington, but we were negotiating and then it stopped.
“They know our position.”
Hendricks, 31, has blossomed from a fringe NHLer to a lineup regular in the nation’s capital.
He put up a career-high 25 points in his first season with the Caps (2010-11) and carved himself a unique role as a tough guy, good faceoff man, respected teammate and quality shootout participant.
Hendricks is in the final season of a two-year, $1.65 million deal signed with the Caps in 2011. It’s likely he’ll have a fair number of suitors in free agency — the Post reports the Rangers are interested — but it’s curious as to why Washington isn’t expressing more of an interest in bringing him back.
Whatever the case, it’s clear the club is looking to overhaul some of its role players from last season.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (47)