May 31, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Last week, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said he’d be “very amenable” to using Edmonton’s seventh overall draft pick in a trade.
Today, the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, echoed MacTavish’s comments.
“Because the draft is deep, as you move along, if someone offered us something we felt could fit in with our group, a different age and a certain type of positional player we need, we wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick,” Lowe told NHL.com. “Maybe where teams are positioned with the [salary] cap going down, all those sorts of moons aligning could lead to something.”
When MacTavish was hired in April, replacing the fired Steve Tambellini, Lowe called his new GM a “man of action.” The same day, MacTavish said he planned to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
In other words, doing nothing this summer doesn’t sound likely.
As Lowe noted, certain teams will need to shed salary as the salary cap falls from $70.2 million to $64.3 million. For teams looking to acquire assets via trade, there will be good players available. Especially for teams with seventh overall picks to deal.
A big center, as well as a goalie to push Devan Dubnyk, are believed to be on Edmonton’s wish list.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 63
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 11
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)