May 31, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Last week, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said he’d be “very amenable” to using Edmonton’s seventh overall draft pick in a trade.
Today, the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, echoed MacTavish’s comments.
“Because the draft is deep, as you move along, if someone offered us something we felt could fit in with our group, a different age and a certain type of positional player we need, we wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick,” Lowe told NHL.com. “Maybe where teams are positioned with the [salary] cap going down, all those sorts of moons aligning could lead to something.”
When MacTavish was hired in April, replacing the fired Steve Tambellini, Lowe called his new GM a “man of action.” The same day, MacTavish said he planned to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
In other words, doing nothing this summer doesn’t sound likely.
As Lowe noted, certain teams will need to shed salary as the salary cap falls from $70.2 million to $64.3 million. For teams looking to acquire assets via trade, there will be good players available. Especially for teams with seventh overall picks to deal.
A big center, as well as a goalie to push Devan Dubnyk, are believed to be on Edmonton’s wish list.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)