May 31, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Last week, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said he’d be “very amenable” to using Edmonton’s seventh overall draft pick in a trade.
Today, the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, echoed MacTavish’s comments.
“Because the draft is deep, as you move along, if someone offered us something we felt could fit in with our group, a different age and a certain type of positional player we need, we wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick,” Lowe told NHL.com. “Maybe where teams are positioned with the [salary] cap going down, all those sorts of moons aligning could lead to something.”
When MacTavish was hired in April, replacing the fired Steve Tambellini, Lowe called his new GM a “man of action.” The same day, MacTavish said he planned to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
In other words, doing nothing this summer doesn’t sound likely.
As Lowe noted, certain teams will need to shed salary as the salary cap falls from $70.2 million to $64.3 million. For teams looking to acquire assets via trade, there will be good players available. Especially for teams with seventh overall picks to deal.
A big center, as well as a goalie to push Devan Dubnyk, are believed to be on Edmonton’s wish list.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)