May 31, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Last week, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said he’d be “very amenable” to using Edmonton’s seventh overall draft pick in a trade.
Today, the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, echoed MacTavish’s comments.
“Because the draft is deep, as you move along, if someone offered us something we felt could fit in with our group, a different age and a certain type of positional player we need, we wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick,” Lowe told NHL.com. “Maybe where teams are positioned with the [salary] cap going down, all those sorts of moons aligning could lead to something.”
When MacTavish was hired in April, replacing the fired Steve Tambellini, Lowe called his new GM a “man of action.” The same day, MacTavish said he planned to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
In other words, doing nothing this summer doesn’t sound likely.
As Lowe noted, certain teams will need to shed salary as the salary cap falls from $70.2 million to $64.3 million. For teams looking to acquire assets via trade, there will be good players available. Especially for teams with seventh overall picks to deal.
A big center, as well as a goalie to push Devan Dubnyk, are believed to be on Edmonton’s wish list.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)