May 31, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Last week, Oilers general manager Craig MacTavish said he’d be “very amenable” to using Edmonton’s seventh overall draft pick in a trade.
Today, the team’s president of hockey operations, Kevin Lowe, echoed MacTavish’s comments.
“Because the draft is deep, as you move along, if someone offered us something we felt could fit in with our group, a different age and a certain type of positional player we need, we wouldn’t be opposed to moving the pick,” Lowe told NHL.com. “Maybe where teams are positioned with the [salary] cap going down, all those sorts of moons aligning could lead to something.”
When MacTavish was hired in April, replacing the fired Steve Tambellini, Lowe called his new GM a “man of action.” The same day, MacTavish said he planned to do “bold things” in order to “move the team forward in a rapid fashion.”
In other words, doing nothing this summer doesn’t sound likely.
As Lowe noted, certain teams will need to shed salary as the salary cap falls from $70.2 million to $64.3 million. For teams looking to acquire assets via trade, there will be good players available. Especially for teams with seventh overall picks to deal.
A big center, as well as a goalie to push Devan Dubnyk, are believed to be on Edmonton’s wish list.
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 38
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 26
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)