May 29, 2013, 3:57 PM EST
Mike Babcock is jacked up for tonight’s big game.
That’s because his Red Wings will take on the Blackhawks at the United Center in a do-or-die Game 7 — the winner advances to the Western Conference finals, the loser goes home for the year.
While the stakes are high, Babcock says the situation couldn’t be more fun.
“We talk about Game 7 sometimes like it’s something to avoid,” Babcock said in his pregame media availability. “It’s as much fun as you can have in hockey. That’s what it is. It’s about having fun.”
Interesting to hear Babcock describe Game 7 in such fashion.
Yesterday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter shared almost the polar opposite opinion prior to the Los Angeles-San Jose series decider.
“Game 7s are not that big a deal when you look at it,” he told reporters, as per Mayor’s Manor. “It’s winning the fourth game that’s a lot bigger, and that’s what is way more important.
“Game 7 is, quite honest, for outside the locker room [gestures to media] to make a big deal out of it. It’s not that important.”
Babcock’s message couldn’t be more different — or more consistent.
He’s been raving about the chance to play in Game 7 ever since Detroit lost Game 6 at the Joe, saying he “loves Game 7s” and that, “if I would’ve told Detroit and Michigan we would play in Chicago in Game 7, I think everybody would be excited.”
On Wednesday, he re-iterated his excitement and said his team would be ready to go.
“When you do what you’re supposed to and you’re organized and you trust your teammates and you trust your structure,” Babcock explained, “let’s play!”
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 21
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58