May 29, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
Mike Babcock is jacked up for tonight’s big game.
That’s because his Red Wings will take on the Blackhawks at the United Center in a do-or-die Game 7 — the winner advances to the Western Conference finals, the loser goes home for the year.
While the stakes are high, Babcock says the situation couldn’t be more fun.
“We talk about Game 7 sometimes like it’s something to avoid,” Babcock said in his pregame media availability. “It’s as much fun as you can have in hockey. That’s what it is. It’s about having fun.”
Interesting to hear Babcock describe Game 7 in such fashion.
Yesterday, Kings head coach Darryl Sutter shared almost the polar opposite opinion prior to the Los Angeles-San Jose series decider.
“Game 7s are not that big a deal when you look at it,” he told reporters, as per Mayor’s Manor. “It’s winning the fourth game that’s a lot bigger, and that’s what is way more important.
“Game 7 is, quite honest, for outside the locker room [gestures to media] to make a big deal out of it. It’s not that important.”
Babcock’s message couldn’t be more different — or more consistent.
He’s been raving about the chance to play in Game 7 ever since Detroit lost Game 6 at the Joe, saying he “loves Game 7s” and that, “if I would’ve told Detroit and Michigan we would play in Chicago in Game 7, I think everybody would be excited.”
On Wednesday, he re-iterated his excitement and said his team would be ready to go.
“When you do what you’re supposed to and you’re organized and you trust your teammates and you trust your structure,” Babcock explained, “let’s play!”
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (95)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)