May 28, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter sounds like a relaxed man, given he’s facing elimination for the first time this postseason.
In fact, he sounds more than relaxed.
“Game 7s are not that big a deal when you look at it,” the Kings head coach told reporters on Tuesday, as per Mayor’s Manor. “It’s winning the fourth game that’s a lot bigger, and that’s what is way more important.
“Game 7 is, quite honest, for outside the locker room [gestures to media] to make a big deal out of it. It’s not that important.”
To be fair, coach and players don’t have much to say about Game 7s because they don’t have much experience.
The Kings haven’t faced playoff elimination since 2011, haven’t played in a Game 7 since 2002 and haven’t played a Game 7 at home since 1989.
As far as overall experience goes, the Sharks have the edge.
San Jose has 31 games of combined experience to Los Angeles’ 15, according to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area. Scott Gomez has played in nine, Brad Stuart in six while Dan Boyle, Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton have played in three each.
As for Sutter, his message is consistent with what he’s preached throughout this postseason and the last — that the close-out is always the toughest game of the series.
“That’s how I see it,” Sutter said. “You either win four games or you lose four games. That’s what sticks out in my mind, not Game 7s.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)