May 28, 2013, 3:40 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter sounds like a relaxed man, given he’s facing elimination for the first time this postseason.
In fact, he sounds more than relaxed.
“Game 7s are not that big a deal when you look at it,” the Kings head coach told reporters on Tuesday, as per Mayor’s Manor. “It’s winning the fourth game that’s a lot bigger, and that’s what is way more important.
“Game 7 is, quite honest, for outside the locker room [gestures to media] to make a big deal out of it. It’s not that important.”
To be fair, coach and players don’t have much to say about Game 7s because they don’t have much experience.
The Kings haven’t faced playoff elimination since 2011, haven’t played in a Game 7 since 2002 and haven’t played a Game 7 at home since 1989.
As far as overall experience goes, the Sharks have the edge.
San Jose has 31 games of combined experience to Los Angeles’ 15, according to Kevin Kurz of CSN Bay Area. Scott Gomez has played in nine, Brad Stuart in six while Dan Boyle, Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton have played in three each.
As for Sutter, his message is consistent with what he’s preached throughout this postseason and the last — that the close-out is always the toughest game of the series.
“That’s how I see it,” Sutter said. “You either win four games or you lose four games. That’s what sticks out in my mind, not Game 7s.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)