May 27, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Both Western Conference semifinals will be decided in a seventh game.
The Detroit Red Wings had a 3-1 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks, but have lost the last two games and are now facing a winner-take-all Game 7 against the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead when the third period of Monday’s game began. It finished 4-3 for the Blackhawks, who scored three goals in 8:52 and took control of the game when it looked like they were on the edge of elimination.
“It’s not like they came in and squashed us. They got what we gave them today,” said Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock, as per a tweet from Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus.
“I love Game 7s. We’ve got a chance to push them out of the playoffs. Should be a lot of fun.”
Of course, the Red Wings had two chances to push the Blackhawks out of the playoffs. Is the third time the charm, or will Chicago complete the comeback?
The winner of this series faces either the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks in the other Western Conference semifinal, which is also going to a seventh game.
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 6
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 34
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 18
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13