May 27, 2013, 11:51 PM EST
Both Western Conference semifinals will be decided in a seventh game.
The Detroit Red Wings had a 3-1 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks, but have lost the last two games and are now facing a winner-take-all Game 7 against the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead when the third period of Monday’s game began. It finished 4-3 for the Blackhawks, who scored three goals in 8:52 and took control of the game when it looked like they were on the edge of elimination.
“It’s not like they came in and squashed us. They got what we gave them today,” said Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock, as per a tweet from Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus.
“I love Game 7s. We’ve got a chance to push them out of the playoffs. Should be a lot of fun.”
Babcock: "If I told our whole team before the series…that we'd be playing Chicago in Game 7, I think they'd be pretty excited about that."—
Dan Rosen (@drosennhl) May 28, 2013
Of course, the Red Wings had two chances to push the Blackhawks out of the playoffs. Is the third time the charm, or will Chicago complete the comeback?
The winner of this series faces either the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks in the other Western Conference semifinal, which is also going to a seventh game.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)