May 27, 2013, 11:51 PM EDT
Both Western Conference semifinals will be decided in a seventh game.
The Detroit Red Wings had a 3-1 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks, but have lost the last two games and are now facing a winner-take-all Game 7 against the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead when the third period of Monday’s game began. It finished 4-3 for the Blackhawks, who scored three goals in 8:52 and took control of the game when it looked like they were on the edge of elimination.
“It’s not like they came in and squashed us. They got what we gave them today,” said Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock, as per a tweet from Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus.
“I love Game 7s. We’ve got a chance to push them out of the playoffs. Should be a lot of fun.”
Of course, the Red Wings had two chances to push the Blackhawks out of the playoffs. Is the third time the charm, or will Chicago complete the comeback?
The winner of this series faces either the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks in the other Western Conference semifinal, which is also going to a seventh game.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)