May 27, 2013, 11:51 PM EST
Both Western Conference semifinals will be decided in a seventh game.
The Detroit Red Wings had a 3-1 series lead over the Chicago Blackhawks, but have lost the last two games and are now facing a winner-take-all Game 7 against the 2013 Presidents’ Trophy winners.
The Red Wings held a 2-1 lead when the third period of Monday’s game began. It finished 4-3 for the Blackhawks, who scored three goals in 8:52 and took control of the game when it looked like they were on the edge of elimination.
“It’s not like they came in and squashed us. They got what we gave them today,” said Red Wings’ head coach Mike Babcock, as per a tweet from Chicago Sun-Times reporter Mark Lazerus.
“I love Game 7s. We’ve got a chance to push them out of the playoffs. Should be a lot of fun.”
Of course, the Red Wings had two chances to push the Blackhawks out of the playoffs. Is the third time the charm, or will Chicago complete the comeback?
The winner of this series faces either the L.A. Kings or San Jose Sharks in the other Western Conference semifinal, which is also going to a seventh game.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)