May 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings were 20 minutes away from advancing to the Western Conference final.
But, with a one-goal lead, the Red Wings collapsed in the third period, and the Chicago Blackhawks forced a seventh and deciding game in this semifinal series with a 4-3 win Monday night.
- With their season in the balance, the Blackhawks got third-period goals from Michal Handzus, Bryan Bickell and Michael Frolik just eight minutes and 52 seconds apart to turn a one-goal deficit into a two-goal lead.
- Frolik provided a little insurance for Chicago with a penalty shot goal in the third period. Nice move – fake forehand, then go backhand – to beat Jimmy Howard.
- Did the referee make the right call, giving Frolik a penalty shot after he was tapped on the stick by Red Wings defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo?
- The Blackhawks were able to rally after goalie Corey Crawford was handcuffed on a Joakim Andersson wrist shot that eluded him from long range, giving Detroit a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
- There was some healthy discussion as to whether the Blackhawks’ third goal was a good goal. Jonathan Toews appeared to be offside, however Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen brought the puck back into his defensive zone. Here is the rule (83 – offside) from the NHL: “If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.”
- What was Johnny Oduya thinking – icing the puck at even strength in the final minute of the game? His error led to not one but two offensive zone draws for the Red Wings as they looked for the equalizer. The Blackhawks escaped unharmed.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35