May 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings were 20 minutes away from advancing to the Western Conference final.
But, with a one-goal lead, the Red Wings collapsed in the third period, and the Chicago Blackhawks forced a seventh and deciding game in this semifinal series with a 4-3 win Monday night.
- With their season in the balance, the Blackhawks got third-period goals from Michal Handzus, Bryan Bickell and Michael Frolik just eight minutes and 52 seconds apart to turn a one-goal deficit into a two-goal lead.
- Frolik provided a little insurance for Chicago with a penalty shot goal in the third period. Nice move – fake forehand, then go backhand – to beat Jimmy Howard.
- Did the referee make the right call, giving Frolik a penalty shot after he was tapped on the stick by Red Wings defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo?
- The Blackhawks were able to rally after goalie Corey Crawford was handcuffed on a Joakim Andersson wrist shot that eluded him from long range, giving Detroit a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
- There was some healthy discussion as to whether the Blackhawks’ third goal was a good goal. Jonathan Toews appeared to be offside, however Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen brought the puck back into his defensive zone. Here is the rule (83 – offside) from the NHL: “If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.”
- What was Johnny Oduya thinking – icing the puck at even strength in the final minute of the game? His error led to not one but two offensive zone draws for the Red Wings as they looked for the equalizer. The Blackhawks escaped unharmed.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)