May 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings were 20 minutes away from advancing to the Western Conference final.
But, with a one-goal lead, the Red Wings collapsed in the third period, and the Chicago Blackhawks forced a seventh and deciding game in this semifinal series with a 4-3 win Monday night.
- With their season in the balance, the Blackhawks got third-period goals from Michal Handzus, Bryan Bickell and Michael Frolik just eight minutes and 52 seconds apart to turn a one-goal deficit into a two-goal lead.
- Frolik provided a little insurance for Chicago with a penalty shot goal in the third period. Nice move – fake forehand, then go backhand – to beat Jimmy Howard.
- Did the referee make the right call, giving Frolik a penalty shot after he was tapped on the stick by Red Wings defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo?
- The Blackhawks were able to rally after goalie Corey Crawford was handcuffed on a Joakim Andersson wrist shot that eluded him from long range, giving Detroit a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
- There was some healthy discussion as to whether the Blackhawks’ third goal was a good goal. Jonathan Toews appeared to be offside, however Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen brought the puck back into his defensive zone. Here is the rule (83 – offside) from the NHL: “If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.”
- What was Johnny Oduya thinking – icing the puck at even strength in the final minute of the game? His error led to not one but two offensive zone draws for the Red Wings as they looked for the equalizer. The Blackhawks escaped unharmed.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)