May 27, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings were 20 minutes away from advancing to the Western Conference final.
But, with a one-goal lead, the Red Wings collapsed in the third period, and the Chicago Blackhawks forced a seventh and deciding game in this semifinal series with a 4-3 win Monday night.
- With their season in the balance, the Blackhawks got third-period goals from Michal Handzus, Bryan Bickell and Michael Frolik just eight minutes and 52 seconds apart to turn a one-goal deficit into a two-goal lead.
- Frolik provided a little insurance for Chicago with a penalty shot goal in the third period. Nice move – fake forehand, then go backhand – to beat Jimmy Howard.
- Did the referee make the right call, giving Frolik a penalty shot after he was tapped on the stick by Red Wings defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo?
- The Blackhawks were able to rally after goalie Corey Crawford was handcuffed on a Joakim Andersson wrist shot that eluded him from long range, giving Detroit a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
- There was some healthy discussion as to whether the Blackhawks’ third goal was a good goal. Jonathan Toews appeared to be offside, however Red Wings’ forward Johan Franzen brought the puck back into his defensive zone. Here is the rule (83 – offside) from the NHL: “If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.”
- What was Johnny Oduya thinking – icing the puck at even strength in the final minute of the game? His error led to not one but two offensive zone draws for the Red Wings as they looked for the equalizer. The Blackhawks escaped unharmed.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)