May 27, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
The National Hockey League Players’ Association will present results of a vote on visor usage to the NHL’s competition committee on Tuesday, June 4, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.
Visor usage was one of the big topics of discussion at March’s general managers meetings.
According to NHLPA executive Mathieu Schneider, the players’ union was looking at making visors mandatory for players entering the league, and was also exploring grandfathering in visor usage for current players.
TVA’s Louis Jean reported the PA would poll its members on the grandfathering idea, and the Globe and Mail’s David Shoalts noted that, if there was enough support, the grandfather rule would go to the competition committee.
The GM meetings occurred just weeks after Rangers defenseman Marc Staal was caught in the eye with a puck during a game against Philadelphia.
Visor use has steadily increased over the past few seasons, with a recent NHLPA report claiming 73 percent of active players wear a shield — up from 34 percent in the 2003-04 season.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)