Mar 7, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
With Marc Staal‘s frightening eye injury fresh on the minds of many, some are considering changing their stances on wearing visors.
“I guess there really isn’t a valid excuse to not wear one anymore,” Orpik said.
As far as it interfering with his vision, the 32-year-old evoked the many star players who don’t seem too bothered by wearing one.
“Some of the guys say that they can’t see as well,” Orpik said. “Well, I look around and see Sid (Sidney Crosby), Geno (Evgeni Malkin) and (Tampa Bay star Steven) Stamkos wearing visors out there. They’re the best players in the game, and they have plenty of vision even though they use visors. There’s probably no excuse anymore.”
It remains to be seen if Orpik’s teammates will also have a change of heart. Fellow Pens blueliner Mark Eaton is on the fence, despite the pleas of his eight-year-old daughter.
“She said, ‘Daddy, you need to put a visor on,’ ” Eaton said. “That’s the only thing that might sway me. But even that — it just is such a nuisance with the fog and water. I can’t get used to it.”
There are some, like tough guy Tanner Glass, who aren’t interested in wearing one at all unless forced to.
“Not one bit,” he said. “I got my eyeball hurt last year. We know the risks. It’s something I deal with. I feel like I’m more in the game, not sitting behind the glass like a spectator.”
To each his own … unless the league makes them mandatory, of course.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)