Mar 7, 2013, 2:26 AM EDT
The debate about whether visors should be mandatory for NHL players is again at the forefront of the hockey landscape, after a horrific incident in which New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal took a puck to the eye Tuesday night.
The NHL wants mandatory visors, however in order for that to be instituted into the game, it would need approval from the NHL Players’ Association.
It appears the NHLPA rejects the idea of mandatory visors, according to a statement from Mathieu Schneider, special assistant to the execution director of the players union, in the New York Times.
“The players support visor use being a matter of individual choice,” Schneider said in the statement.
“We continue to regularly educate the players on the benefits of wearing a visor so that each player can make an informed decision.
“We will further discuss visors and other important equipment-related matters at our player meetings this summer.”
Staal is out of the Rangers lineup indefinitely, however doctors are optimistic he will make a full recovery from the eye injury.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)