Mar 7, 2013, 2:26 AM EST
The debate about whether visors should be mandatory for NHL players is again at the forefront of the hockey landscape, after a horrific incident in which New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal took a puck to the eye Tuesday night.
The NHL wants mandatory visors, however in order for that to be instituted into the game, it would need approval from the NHL Players’ Association.
It appears the NHLPA rejects the idea of mandatory visors, according to a statement from Mathieu Schneider, special assistant to the execution director of the players union, in the New York Times.
“The players support visor use being a matter of individual choice,” Schneider said in the statement.
“We continue to regularly educate the players on the benefits of wearing a visor so that each player can make an informed decision.
“We will further discuss visors and other important equipment-related matters at our player meetings this summer.”
Staal is out of the Rangers lineup indefinitely, however doctors are optimistic he will make a full recovery from the eye injury.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)