May 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Ovechkin, who was roundly criticized for his poor production as the series progressed, went scoreless over the final two games and had just one shot on goal in an ugly 5-0 loss in Game 7.
Speculation suggests the Hart Trophy nominee suffered the injury blocking two shots by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh early in Game 6, shown here:
Here’s more, from the Post:
Skating could not make the injury worse, the source said, so Ovechkin played with it through the rest of Game 6 and Game 7 against the Rangers. The fracture will only require rest to heal, the source said.
Ovechkin, who recorded one goal and one assist in the first round series, took a combined six shots on goal and was credited with 16 hits in those two games combined. He skated 19:03 and 19:08 in Games 6 and 7, respectively, his lowest ice times of the series.
The severity of the injury will be questioned, given Ovechkin left Washington shortly after the Game 7 loss to join Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships.
Ovechkin played in Thursday’s quarterfinal loss to the Americans, scoring one goal and chipping in with an assist.
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 5
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 3
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9