May 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Ovechkin, who was roundly criticized for his poor production as the series progressed, went scoreless over the final two games and had just one shot on goal in an ugly 5-0 loss in Game 7.
Speculation suggests the Hart Trophy nominee suffered the injury blocking two shots by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh early in Game 6, shown here:
Here’s more, from the Post:
Skating could not make the injury worse, the source said, so Ovechkin played with it through the rest of Game 6 and Game 7 against the Rangers. The fracture will only require rest to heal, the source said.
Ovechkin, who recorded one goal and one assist in the first round series, took a combined six shots on goal and was credited with 16 hits in those two games combined. He skated 19:03 and 19:08 in Games 6 and 7, respectively, his lowest ice times of the series.
The severity of the injury will be questioned, given Ovechkin left Washington shortly after the Game 7 loss to join Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships.
Ovechkin played in Thursday’s quarterfinal loss to the Americans, scoring one goal and chipping in with an assist.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)