May 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Ovechkin, who was roundly criticized for his poor production as the series progressed, went scoreless over the final two games and had just one shot on goal in an ugly 5-0 loss in Game 7.
Speculation suggests the Hart Trophy nominee suffered the injury blocking two shots by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh early in Game 6, shown here:
Here’s more, from the Post:
Skating could not make the injury worse, the source said, so Ovechkin played with it through the rest of Game 6 and Game 7 against the Rangers. The fracture will only require rest to heal, the source said.
Ovechkin, who recorded one goal and one assist in the first round series, took a combined six shots on goal and was credited with 16 hits in those two games combined. He skated 19:03 and 19:08 in Games 6 and 7, respectively, his lowest ice times of the series.
The severity of the injury will be questioned, given Ovechkin left Washington shortly after the Game 7 loss to join Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships.
Ovechkin played in Thursday’s quarterfinal loss to the Americans, scoring one goal and chipping in with an assist.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)