May 16, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Ovechkin, who was roundly criticized for his poor production as the series progressed, went scoreless over the final two games and had just one shot on goal in an ugly 5-0 loss in Game 7.
Speculation suggests the Hart Trophy nominee suffered the injury blocking two shots by Rangers’ defenseman Ryan McDonagh early in Game 6, shown here:
Here’s more, from the Post:
Skating could not make the injury worse, the source said, so Ovechkin played with it through the rest of Game 6 and Game 7 against the Rangers. The fracture will only require rest to heal, the source said.
Ovechkin, who recorded one goal and one assist in the first round series, took a combined six shots on goal and was credited with 16 hits in those two games combined. He skated 19:03 and 19:08 in Games 6 and 7, respectively, his lowest ice times of the series.
The severity of the injury will be questioned, given Ovechkin left Washington shortly after the Game 7 loss to join Team Russia at the World Hockey Championships.
Ovechkin played in Thursday’s quarterfinal loss to the Americans, scoring one goal and chipping in with an assist.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)