May 16, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
Apparently Alex Ovechkin can see the future.
When talking about his recent struggles in the first round of the Washington Capitals’ series against the New York Rangers, Ovechkin said, “I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose.”
That was the case this morning as Ovechkin had a goal and an assist in a crushing 8-3 loss to Team USA.
“We lost due to egregious mistakes in the neutral zone, even though we talked about it,” Ovechkin said, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov. “This is carelessness.”
Ilya Kovalchuk failed to record a point for Russia in this quarterfinal match. Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny was the hero for America with two goals and four points. His efforts helped chase out Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov following his interesting Russian interview.
Bryzgalov was replaced late in the second period by Stastny’s Avalanche teammate, Semyon Varlamov, who didn’t fare any better.
Among the other notable players was 23-year-old Craig Smith, who had five assists for Team USA after recording 12 points in 44 games for Nashville this year.
Russia, which beat America in the Preliminary round, has now been eliminated after winning the IIHF tournament last year. Team USA will play against either Switzerland or the Czech Republic in the Semifinals.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 2
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)