May 16, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Apparently Alex Ovechkin can see the future.
When talking about his recent struggles in the first round of the Washington Capitals’ series against the New York Rangers, Ovechkin said, “I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose.”
That was the case this morning as Ovechkin had a goal and an assist in a crushing 8-3 loss to Team USA.
“We lost due to egregious mistakes in the neutral zone, even though we talked about it,” Ovechkin said, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov. “This is carelessness.”
Ilya Kovalchuk failed to record a point for Russia in this quarterfinal match. Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny was the hero for America with two goals and four points. His efforts helped chase out Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov following his interesting Russian interview.
Bryzgalov was replaced late in the second period by Stastny’s Avalanche teammate, Semyon Varlamov, who didn’t fare any better.
Among the other notable players was 23-year-old Craig Smith, who had five assists for Team USA after recording 12 points in 44 games for Nashville this year.
Russia, which beat America in the Preliminary round, has now been eliminated after winning the IIHF tournament last year. Team USA will play against either Switzerland or the Czech Republic in the Semifinals.
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 0
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 7
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3