May 16, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Apparently Alex Ovechkin can see the future.
When talking about his recent struggles in the first round of the Washington Capitals’ series against the New York Rangers, Ovechkin said, “I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose.”
That was the case this morning as Ovechkin had a goal and an assist in a crushing 8-3 loss to Team USA.
“We lost due to egregious mistakes in the neutral zone, even though we talked about it,” Ovechkin said, according to Yahoo!’s Dmitry Chesnokov. “This is carelessness.”
Ilya Kovalchuk failed to record a point for Russia in this quarterfinal match. Colorado Avalanche forward Paul Stastny was the hero for America with two goals and four points. His efforts helped chase out Philadelphia Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov following his interesting Russian interview.
Bryzgalov was replaced late in the second period by Stastny’s Avalanche teammate, Semyon Varlamov, who didn’t fare any better.
Among the other notable players was 23-year-old Craig Smith, who had five assists for Team USA after recording 12 points in 44 games for Nashville this year.
Russia, which beat America in the Preliminary round, has now been eliminated after winning the IIHF tournament last year. Team USA will play against either Switzerland or the Czech Republic in the Semifinals.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (125)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)