Ovechkin: ‘I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose’

May 15, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH, PA - FEBRUARY 7: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals looks on against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the game at Consol Energy Center on February 7, 2013 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Washington Capitals probably wouldn’t have even made it to the playoffs if Alex Ovechkin didn’t score around a goal-per-game down the stretch. However, he wasn’t able to make major contributions offensively during Washington’s first-round series against the New York Rangers and his team ended up getting eliminated.

As the team captain and the player with the highest cap hit in 2012-13, his performance was understandably scrutinized, but Ovechkin wants to make it clear that this was a team loss.

“Of course when you lose the game and when you lose the series everybody try [to] find the guy who didn’t do something out there,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post. “But as a captain and as a player, I can see everybody do exactly what they have to do.

“Of course was mistake by me, by everybody, but that’s why we have five guys out there to cover mistakes. One guy can’t win the championship. Only like team success.”

His comment that one guy can’t win the championship is of course accurate, but also a little interesting given that he felt Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist almost single-handedly beat them.

Regardless, it doesn’t sound like Ovechkin felt his lack of offensive output was the determining factor in this series.

“In seven games I have two points and we still lose,” Ovechkin said. “What’s the reason? I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose. It’s kind of position where everybody have to make a difference.”

Ovechkin also recently complained about the Capitals’ lack of power-play opportunities in Game 6.

“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”

Related:

Video: Milbury, Roenick urge accountability from Ovechkin

1. danaking - May 15, 2013 at 9:08 AM

The Caps decline began when they made Ovechkin the captain. No leadership qualities at all. Now they’re stuck with him having the C on his sweater.

• polegojim - May 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Different year… same story… always the same story.

Why does anyone expect anything different? It’s the definition of insanity.

“They wanted game 7″… wow. The Caps didn’t? Just… wow.

When does the silly defense stop and turn into reality?

• ziplock10 - May 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM

You haven’t been watching the games!!!! OVI has been checking hard and pushing!!! He has had little help!!! I’m not a Hockey head, but I know when you are on the ice for 2 to 3 shifts, you glide a few times. OVI has been highlighted gliding when other teams have scored.

In all honesty. If OVI was out like Crosby. Would the Caps be in the playoffs??? I think F-ing not!!

McPhee has alot of disappearing acts on this team. ALOT LIKE SEMIN!!!!!!

You can NOT question his effort! His Ice time, outside of game 4 and 6. (Yes I do count the disparity of calls- Evidence is the first call against OVI on game 4 I believe?Just finishing a check like thousands throughout the playoffs!!) his ice time is on point. Remove game 1 and 2 stats. WHO STANDS OUT??

OVI needs a little more help! This isn’t the Olympics! He needs a few more grunts who can plug the net!!!!

• polegojim - May 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Different year… same story… same results… same desperate explanations from Caps fans.

Say what you want to feel better… however you want to spin it… the front office failed, the coach failed, the players failed, the trainers failed, the scouts failed… they all FAILED…. yet again.

Teams with less talent, but bigger hearts and true grit have WON the Stanley Cup. No more excuses.

• 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Ovi needs more help? Ziplock, have YOU watched these games? Five Capitals scored more than him in the series, including Chimera, Perreault and Ward – you know, those “grunts” you’re pretending aren’t pulling their weight. And ANOTHER five Caps tied his pathetic two-point performance. That’s ten players as good or better than Ovechkin was in this series. He doesn’t need more support, he needs to get off his ass and do something, ANYTHING, to prove he’s not useless in the playoffs.

• myopinionisrighterthanyours - May 15, 2013 at 1:05 PM

OVI has been checking hard and pushing!!!

@ziploc10: Yeah, like on that overtime goal where he’s shown gliding on his stakes? Please. How can Cap fans continue to defend this guy? I don’t score we lose, I score we lose? Even if true, both Ovenchicken and fans have to realize there’s much less of a probability of losing when he shows some form of production. And where is his leadership?

• devilsarethebest - May 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Why the hell would the Caps want game 7?

2. fivetozeroingame7 - May 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM

this just keeps getting better.

• tfaltin - May 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

It really does because he just doesnt get it. In game 6, if he scores one goal, maybe there isn’t a game 7. When you look at the playoff stats, Ovi is the one that really didn’t pull his weight. Ward, Perrault, and Green all had 4 points. In a defensive series, that’s great production from your third line and top defenseman. Chimera, Backstrom and Ribeiro all had 3 points. No, that’s not good enough from Backstrom and Ribeiro, but 3 points from Chimera isn’t hurting you. He’s not a 50 point player so 3 in 7 is what you should expect from him. What hurts you is when your best player puts up 2 points. If the Capitals won the series and Nash finished with two points, you know what I’d want Nash to say? I need to score a goal because one goal could have been the difference in the series.

• har21441 - May 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

It’s almost like Ovie is a terrible leader or something.

3. phillyphanatic77 - May 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

This doesn’t sound like something a captain should say. Sorry Alex, but if you scored you might not have lost. How can you even imply that your 2pts in 7 games was not atleast a contributing factor? As a Flyers fan I know how hard it is to beat Lundqvist when he’s on, but most of those games had a single goal differential… so if Ovi scored just once or twice more it could’ve been a different series. If I was running the Caps I’d think about taking that ‘C’ off his jersey and see if he wants to earn it back.

• ibieiniid - May 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Brooks Laich is far more deserving. I was all for OV, but he just keeps running his mouth. you’re right, not something a Cap’n should be doing when their team is out.

4. johnstone17 - May 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yawn.

• ibieiniid - May 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yawn.

sorry, I didn’t agree with your yawn on this story, they’re just contagious.

• barkar942 - May 15, 2013 at 12:34 PM

YAWN!
        I do agree with his opinion.

• ibieiniid - May 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

buuuuuut you read the article AND the comments?

• johnstone17 - May 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No offense taken. This story has just run it’s course with me.

• badintent - May 16, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Double Yawn and a flop card please

5. myspaceyourface - May 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Up to a 3 day CRY FEST.

Way to throw your team mates under the bus.

6. pastabelly - May 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Lundqvist and the Rangers can shut players down. As a Bruins fan, it’ll be interesting to see if the Rangers can handle the Krejci-Lucic-Horton line. I actually think Bergeron-Seguin-Marchand line’s game is better suited to playing against the Rangers. We’ll see. But I don’t see a need for everyone to jump on Ovechkin here. His game returned to a very high level and it’s not as if he was shut down by some crappy goalie and team that doesn’t play defense.

• tfaltin - May 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I agree that Bergeron is the x-factor in the series. As a Rangers fan, I think the McDonagh-Girardi pairing is much more capable of shutting down the Krejci than any pairing the Leafs put out there. Chara will be matched up against Nash and Brassard, which means it’ll be Stepan-Callahan-Hagelin against Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I expected the Rangers to win in 6 games and not 7. Their defense blocks a ton of high percent shots and they clog the shooting lanes. The majority of the shots that get through are low percentage and easily saved by Henry. or just about any goaltender in the league for that matter. Washington is also a one star team. You shut down Ovi’s offense and playmaking like the Rangers did by humping him all game with Girardi and McDonaugh and the Caps offense begins to suffocate. I’ll never understand why All -Stars would hinder their team with such a huge cap hit that it really prevents them from winning a championship in a team game like Hockey or Football.

The Bruins can score with any line and play a similar defensive style. I also think, like the Penguiins, they have a fire lit under them from their game 7 of the prior series. They should be able to beat the Rangers in 6. Their offensive depth, better puck movement and better speed will be the difference.

• badintent - May 16, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Hope it is a great ,clean 7 game series with some OT games ! Let the best goaltender win !!
      congrats on your win over Maple leafs !! amazing game.Glad I watched it. Ranger fan but loved Phil Esposito on both teams.

7. jaybaileys - May 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

You didnt get it done dude again, man up, enough excuses.

8. revansrevenant - May 15, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I see a compliance buyout in his future.

• ibieiniid - May 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

doubt it

• hockeydon10 - May 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Well, that’s the stupidest thing I’ve read so far today.

Ovechkin = money in Leonsis’ pocket. End of that conspiracy.

• revansrevenant - May 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Did I actually post that? I was still in bed at 9:50 this morning.

• jaybaileys - May 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM

You must be smoking the same stuff Bryz. is.

• ibieiniid - May 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

space crack?

9. jaguar0413 - May 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I’m kind of with Ovi on this one. He didn’t score in this series, but neither did anyone else on the Caps. Where is all the criticism for Backstrom or Ribeiro or Brouwer? None of them showed up in the series either. It takes a team to win a series and beat a world class goaltender like Lundqvist. Even in previous playoff games where Ovechkin dominated, like the Penguins series or the 2009 Rangers series, the supporting cast was only passable at best.

The reason the Caps can’t get it done is not because Ovi sucks or he isn’t enough of a leader, it is because the team as a whole is too soft both mentally and physically. The defense sucks and we’ve had inexperienced goalies in every single playoffs. Until Caps management can build a stronger, more physical core, the Caps will go nowhere.

Crosby had Orpik and Malkin to support him. Toews had Kane and Keith. Lidstrom had Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Chara had Bergeron and Marchand. Who does Ovi have?

• hockeydon10 - May 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

You do make a good point here.

There was one game in this series when the Caps were on the power play. Ribeiro has the puck near the goal line, left of Lundqvist, about 8 feet away. No defender came out to challenge him. Why? As the broadcasters pointed out, Riberio doesn’t look to shoot that often. Why bother someone that’s not going to take the puck to the net and not going to shoot it? Ribeiro screwed around with the puck for quite a few seconds before banking it back to the point. All his passing lanes were taken up.

That in a nutshell is the other part of the reason the Rags could beat the Caps.

• taintedlombardis - May 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM

jaguar0413 is most definitely smarter than the average PHT poster.

• magicrat13 - May 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM

i agree with your comment that it is a “team” game and one person cannot do it alone…

however when ovi is “the team captain and the player with the highest cap hit in 2012-13″, more is expected from him….and i am not just talking about scoring goals…

• jaguar0413 - May 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I agree. As a fan of the team, I was incredibly disappointed with his play at times. I think that Ovi would also recognize that he has to and could have done more (in all phases of the game). For sure, the two game winning goals by Stepan in Games 3 and 4 could have been prevented if Ovi had simply moved his feet and covered Stepan.

• barkar942 - May 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM

His Mommy and Russian tennis star Maria Kirilenko.

10. taintedlombardis - May 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Again, Ovechkin nails it out of the ballpark. The Caps have been kryptonite for the greatest player of this generation’s career.

• chicagobtech - May 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM

What does Hossa have to do in an article about Ovechkin and his Disappearing Talent?

• 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Funny story – Ward, Perreault, Green, Chimera, Backstrom and Ribiero all had more points in this series than Ovechkin. Partly that’s a function of Ryan McDonagh shutting him down all series, but that’s nowhere near enough to excuse his performance. For all his excuses (and I’m sure you’ve thought of plenty more yourself), many of the other Capitals forwards put more points on the board. How often does the “greatest player of this generation” have to choke when it matters before it rubs off on him? Joel freaking Ward had four points to his two.

• 2jivecrew - May 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

LOL. Ovie on his best day couldn’t carry Crosby or Datsyuk’s jock on their worst day. Ovie is one of the most one-dimensional players in the league. He can score goals, that’s it. And he hasn’t even done much of that over the last few years.

• johnstone17 - May 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I don’t agree with one dimensional. He took the body as much as anyone in that series. I don’t put the blame on him for the Caps losing, but as a captain & a leader, he seriously lacks the savvy to deal with the media.

• danaking - May 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

True, he did take the body a lot, but he’s looking for the highlight-reel hit. How often is he out of position to make the spectacular hit. Besides, they’re paying him the highest salary in the league to score, not play pinball.

11. billyhauntswizards - May 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM

on one level, wow Ovechkin just can’t stop whining can he? We lost cause of this, the refs did that, give it a rest! But also, can’t help but KINDA feeling bad for him. Except for his disgraceful backcheck effort that gave Stepan the GWG in game 4, he played a very hard series. He was just defended very well. Where the hell were Backstrom and Johansson? They were TOTALLY invisible, as was the whole second line! To some degree his teamates absolutely deserve to get thrown under the bus!

12. soj83 - May 15, 2013 at 10:34 AM

he keeps finding excuses, but if he didn’t glide from the red line on the Stepan OT goal in game 4 the series wouldn’t have gone to game 7. I won’t take anything away from his offensive ability, arguably the best offensive skills around, but I can think of a couple dozen players that play a whole game that I would rather have on my team.

13. 19to77 - May 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Ovechkin soundbytes: the gift that keeps on giving.

14. capsrockva - May 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Strip OVi the C and give it to Laich

15. cdalton2690 - May 15, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I love Ovie but he isn’t helping anything with these quotes. I think he needs to release his captain duties and it needs to be given to someone more deserving like Matt Hendricks. I know brooks Laich is the popular choice, but I think Hendy is all around captain material. Not the greatest player but he gives 100% every time he is on the ice.

• bohman88 - May 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I couldn’t agree more. I am a HUGE Ovi fan and I will support him most of the time, even if I know he’s wrong, but I don’t think he has proven to be a great captain. I love the passion Hendricks plays with but I think maybe Laich has a better natural hockey sense. Either way I’d be extremely surprised if they take the “C” off his sweater.

16. Stiller43 - May 15, 2013 at 11:58 AM

This CAPTAIN is finding a way to deflect blame again? Isnt it embarassing having him wear the C on your favorite teams sweater?

17. billobrienschindimple - May 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Sidney Crosby walks into a bar and orders an Ovechkin. Confused the barkeep asks what it is. A white Russian with no ice and no cup.

• johnstone17 - May 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF !

18. jeb7524 - May 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

This is typical Ovechkin. He has always been overrated. He is a great goal scorer and nothing more. The truly great players make those around them better. Ovechkin has never made his teammates better.

• devilsarethebest - May 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM

60 assists, but not at all.

19. banger60 - May 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM