May 15, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals probably wouldn’t have even made it to the playoffs if Alex Ovechkin didn’t score around a goal-per-game down the stretch. However, he wasn’t able to make major contributions offensively during Washington’s first-round series against the New York Rangers and his team ended up getting eliminated.
As the team captain and the player with the highest cap hit in 2012-13, his performance was understandably scrutinized, but Ovechkin wants to make it clear that this was a team loss.
“Of course when you lose the game and when you lose the series everybody try [to] find the guy who didn’t do something out there,” Ovechkin said, according to the Washington Post. “But as a captain and as a player, I can see everybody do exactly what they have to do.
“Of course was mistake by me, by everybody, but that’s why we have five guys out there to cover mistakes. One guy can’t win the championship. Only like team success.”
Regardless, it doesn’t sound like Ovechkin felt his lack of offensive output was the determining factor in this series.
“In seven games I have two points and we still lose,” Ovechkin said. “What’s the reason? I didn’t score and we lose. I score we lose. It’s kind of position where everybody have to make a difference.”
Ovechkin also recently complained about the Capitals’ lack of power-play opportunities in Game 6.
“Not saying there was a phone call, but they wanted Game 7,” he said, per Slava Malamud of Sport-Express. “For ratings. You know, lockout, escrow, league must make profit.”
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)