May 16, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville hasn’t been overjoyed with his team lately despite their recent success.
When they beat Minnesota 3-0 in Game 4, he said it was “the minimal standard we should be looking for.” After eliminating the Wild in Game 5, Quenneville insisted that “there’s another level we need to get to.”
So how does Wednesday’s 4-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings rate in his eyes?
“Much better from our prior series, and what we were talking about in our team game was in place,” Quenneville said in a CSN Chicago report. “We had some pace, had some speed and some zone time and everybody contributed.
“Obviously you get scoring chances, you can draw penalties, get second opportunities and you can tire them out. That’s easier said than done, but certainly you’re on an advantage if you get more zone time.
“The last series we didn’t get much. Let’s look forward to trying to get more.”
Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford was even more positive, calling Wednesday’s effort “probably our best game of the postseason so far.”
The game was tied after 20 minutes, but Chicago outshot Detroit 35-14 over the final two periods. Detroit will have a few days to regroup before Game 2 on Saturday (1:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)