May 16, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville hasn’t been overjoyed with his team lately despite their recent success.
When they beat Minnesota 3-0 in Game 4, he said it was “the minimal standard we should be looking for.” After eliminating the Wild in Game 5, Quenneville insisted that “there’s another level we need to get to.”
So how does Wednesday’s 4-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings rate in his eyes?
“Much better from our prior series, and what we were talking about in our team game was in place,” Quenneville said in a CSN Chicago report. “We had some pace, had some speed and some zone time and everybody contributed.
“Obviously you get scoring chances, you can draw penalties, get second opportunities and you can tire them out. That’s easier said than done, but certainly you’re on an advantage if you get more zone time.
“The last series we didn’t get much. Let’s look forward to trying to get more.”
Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford was even more positive, calling Wednesday’s effort “probably our best game of the postseason so far.”
The game was tied after 20 minutes, but Chicago outshot Detroit 35-14 over the final two periods. Detroit will have a few days to regroup before Game 2 on Saturday (1:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)