May 16, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville hasn’t been overjoyed with his team lately despite their recent success.
When they beat Minnesota 3-0 in Game 4, he said it was “the minimal standard we should be looking for.” After eliminating the Wild in Game 5, Quenneville insisted that “there’s another level we need to get to.”
So how does Wednesday’s 4-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings rate in his eyes?
“Much better from our prior series, and what we were talking about in our team game was in place,” Quenneville said in a CSN Chicago report. “We had some pace, had some speed and some zone time and everybody contributed.
“Obviously you get scoring chances, you can draw penalties, get second opportunities and you can tire them out. That’s easier said than done, but certainly you’re on an advantage if you get more zone time.
“The last series we didn’t get much. Let’s look forward to trying to get more.”
Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford was even more positive, calling Wednesday’s effort “probably our best game of the postseason so far.”
The game was tied after 20 minutes, but Chicago outshot Detroit 35-14 over the final two periods. Detroit will have a few days to regroup before Game 2 on Saturday (1:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)