May 16, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville hasn’t been overjoyed with his team lately despite their recent success.
When they beat Minnesota 3-0 in Game 4, he said it was “the minimal standard we should be looking for.” After eliminating the Wild in Game 5, Quenneville insisted that “there’s another level we need to get to.”
So how does Wednesday’s 4-1 victory over the Detroit Red Wings rate in his eyes?
“Much better from our prior series, and what we were talking about in our team game was in place,” Quenneville said in a CSN Chicago report. “We had some pace, had some speed and some zone time and everybody contributed.
“Obviously you get scoring chances, you can draw penalties, get second opportunities and you can tire them out. That’s easier said than done, but certainly you’re on an advantage if you get more zone time.
“The last series we didn’t get much. Let’s look forward to trying to get more.”
Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford was even more positive, calling Wednesday’s effort “probably our best game of the postseason so far.”
The game was tied after 20 minutes, but Chicago outshot Detroit 35-14 over the final two periods. Detroit will have a few days to regroup before Game 2 on Saturday (1:00 p.m. ET, NBC).
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)