May 8, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Joel Quenneville didn’t sound overly impressed with his team’s 3-0 win last night in Minnesota.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” the Blackhawks’ coach said today, per Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun-Times.
Despite shutting out the Wild and going ahead, 3-1, in the series, Chicago finished with just 24 shots and spent a good portion of the game killing the six minor penalties it took.
The ‘Hawks’ power play, meanwhile, failed to convert on its only two opportunities and now stands at just 1-for-11 in the playoffs.
“We feel [the power play] can be good because it has been good in past,” said forward Patrick Kane.
Yet it wasn’t very good during the regular season. Even with all the firepower Chicago boasts, the Blackhawks ranked 19th (16.7%) with the man advantage.
If all this sounds like nitpicking, maybe it is. After all, the penalty kill is a perfect 15-for-15 and goalie Corey Crawford has been great. Those things deserve mentioning, too.
But that’s what happens when a team barely loses a game during the regular season.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)