May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks ousted the Minnesota Wild in five games and did so with a commanding 5-1 victory.
And it wasn’t good enough. Not yet.
“I’m not doing cartwheels over the last two games,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. “There’s another level we need to get to.”
That seems to be a theme for Chicago this season: Don’t be satisfied with your past accomplishments.
Quenneville’s post-series comments echoed what he said a day after the Blackhawks’ 3-0 win in Game 4.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” Quenneville said.
The Blackhawks have enjoyed consistent and in some cases historic levels of success all year. Expectations have been raised so high that anything short of the Stanley Cup will likely be regarded as a failure, regardless of the stiff competition.
The Blackhawks will need to wait until the conclusion of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings series to find out who they will face in the second round. If the Ducks win, then Chicago will play against the sixth seed San Jose Sharks. If the seventh seed Red Wings win, then they will take on the Blackhawks next.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 17
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 12
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 63
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)