May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks ousted the Minnesota Wild in five games and did so with a commanding 5-1 victory.
And it wasn’t good enough. Not yet.
“I’m not doing cartwheels over the last two games,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. “There’s another level we need to get to.”
That seems to be a theme for Chicago this season: Don’t be satisfied with your past accomplishments.
Quenneville’s post-series comments echoed what he said a day after the Blackhawks’ 3-0 win in Game 4.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” Quenneville said.
The Blackhawks have enjoyed consistent and in some cases historic levels of success all year. Expectations have been raised so high that anything short of the Stanley Cup will likely be regarded as a failure, regardless of the stiff competition.
The Blackhawks will need to wait until the conclusion of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings series to find out who they will face in the second round. If the Ducks win, then Chicago will play against the sixth seed San Jose Sharks. If the seventh seed Red Wings win, then they will take on the Blackhawks next.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)