May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks ousted the Minnesota Wild in five games and did so with a commanding 5-1 victory.
And it wasn’t good enough. Not yet.
“I’m not doing cartwheels over the last two games,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. “There’s another level we need to get to.”
That seems to be a theme for Chicago this season: Don’t be satisfied with your past accomplishments.
Quenneville’s post-series comments echoed what he said a day after the Blackhawks’ 3-0 win in Game 4.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” Quenneville said.
The Blackhawks have enjoyed consistent and in some cases historic levels of success all year. Expectations have been raised so high that anything short of the Stanley Cup will likely be regarded as a failure, regardless of the stiff competition.
The Blackhawks will need to wait until the conclusion of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings series to find out who they will face in the second round. If the Ducks win, then Chicago will play against the sixth seed San Jose Sharks. If the seventh seed Red Wings win, then they will take on the Blackhawks next.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)