May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks ousted the Minnesota Wild in five games and did so with a commanding 5-1 victory.
And it wasn’t good enough. Not yet.
“I’m not doing cartwheels over the last two games,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. “There’s another level we need to get to.”
That seems to be a theme for Chicago this season: Don’t be satisfied with your past accomplishments.
Quenneville’s post-series comments echoed what he said a day after the Blackhawks’ 3-0 win in Game 4.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” Quenneville said.
The Blackhawks have enjoyed consistent and in some cases historic levels of success all year. Expectations have been raised so high that anything short of the Stanley Cup will likely be regarded as a failure, regardless of the stiff competition.
The Blackhawks will need to wait until the conclusion of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings series to find out who they will face in the second round. If the Ducks win, then Chicago will play against the sixth seed San Jose Sharks. If the seventh seed Red Wings win, then they will take on the Blackhawks next.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)