May 10, 2013, 1:59 AM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks ousted the Minnesota Wild in five games and did so with a commanding 5-1 victory.
And it wasn’t good enough. Not yet.
“I’m not doing cartwheels over the last two games,” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville told CSN Chicago’s Tracey Myers. “There’s another level we need to get to.”
That seems to be a theme for Chicago this season: Don’t be satisfied with your past accomplishments.
Quenneville’s post-series comments echoed what he said a day after the Blackhawks’ 3-0 win in Game 4.
“Yesterday’s game is probably the minimal standard we should be looking for,” Quenneville said.
The Blackhawks have enjoyed consistent and in some cases historic levels of success all year. Expectations have been raised so high that anything short of the Stanley Cup will likely be regarded as a failure, regardless of the stiff competition.
The Blackhawks will need to wait until the conclusion of the Anaheim Ducks-Detroit Red Wings series to find out who they will face in the second round. If the Ducks win, then Chicago will play against the sixth seed San Jose Sharks. If the seventh seed Red Wings win, then they will take on the Blackhawks next.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)