May 8, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
With the series on the line in overtime, Vancouver Canucks forward Daniel Sedin was sent to the sin bin for a boarding penalty that several Canucks players questioned, no more so than his brother and team captain, Henrik Sedin.
“I shouldn’t say it right now, but, it’s a [expletive] call,” Henrik said, according to the National Post.
The San Jose Sharks made the most of the opportunity with Patrick Marleau scoring the series-winning goal early in the power play.
Here is the penalty so you can judge it for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Canucks defense Kevin Bieksa, who accused San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Logan Couture of embellishment prior to this contest, admitted that Vancouver wasn’t eliminated solely based on one penalty.
“We put ourselves in the situation where one bad call costs you a game,” Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun. “It was four games of not executing. This wasn’t an isolated incident; we were in a 3-0 hole. We didn’t play good enough to win the series. It sucks. There’s no way to sugarcoat it.”
For the second straight season, the Vancouver Canucks have been great in the regular season, only to completely collapse the moment the playoffs start. Big changes could be coming in Vancouver.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 29
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)