May 8, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
With the series on the line in overtime, Vancouver Canucks forward Daniel Sedin was sent to the sin bin for a boarding penalty that several Canucks players questioned, no more so than his brother and team captain, Henrik Sedin.
“I shouldn’t say it right now, but, it’s a [expletive] call,” Henrik said, according to the National Post.
The San Jose Sharks made the most of the opportunity with Patrick Marleau scoring the series-winning goal early in the power play.
Here is the penalty so you can judge it for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Canucks defense Kevin Bieksa, who accused San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Logan Couture of embellishment prior to this contest, admitted that Vancouver wasn’t eliminated solely based on one penalty.
“We put ourselves in the situation where one bad call costs you a game,” Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun. “It was four games of not executing. This wasn’t an isolated incident; we were in a 3-0 hole. We didn’t play good enough to win the series. It sucks. There’s no way to sugarcoat it.”
For the second straight season, the Vancouver Canucks have been great in the regular season, only to completely collapse the moment the playoffs start. Big changes could be coming in Vancouver.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)