May 8, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
With the series on the line in overtime, Vancouver Canucks forward Daniel Sedin was sent to the sin bin for a boarding penalty that several Canucks players questioned, no more so than his brother and team captain, Henrik Sedin.
“I shouldn’t say it right now, but, it’s a [expletive] call,” Henrik said, according to the National Post.
The San Jose Sharks made the most of the opportunity with Patrick Marleau scoring the series-winning goal early in the power play.
Here is the penalty so you can judge it for yourself:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Canucks defense Kevin Bieksa, who accused San Jose forwards Joe Thornton and Logan Couture of embellishment prior to this contest, admitted that Vancouver wasn’t eliminated solely based on one penalty.
“We put ourselves in the situation where one bad call costs you a game,” Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun. “It was four games of not executing. This wasn’t an isolated incident; we were in a 3-0 hole. We didn’t play good enough to win the series. It sucks. There’s no way to sugarcoat it.”
For the second straight season, the Vancouver Canucks have been great in the regular season, only to completely collapse the moment the playoffs start. Big changes could be coming in Vancouver.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)