May 8, 2013, 2:31 AM EST
San Jose’s 4-3 Game 4 overtime victory didn’t come without controversy.
At 13:03 of overtime, Canucks forward Daniel Sedin was sent to the box for boarding Sharks forward Tommy Wingels. The problem here, however, is the play didn’t look like much of a penalty at all. A mere 15 seconds later, Patrick Marleau was putting a rebound past Cory Schneider and into the net sending the Sharks to the second round and the Canucks home for the summer.
Penalty or not? Have a look for yourself.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, referee Kelly Sutherland told TSN’s Farhan Lalji he deemed Sedin’s play a violent shove into the boards in which the player (Wingels) couldn’t defend himself.
The call didn’t cost Vancouver the series, but it certainly cost them the game and a chance to stay alive a little longer.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)