May 8, 2013, 2:31 AM EST
San Jose’s 4-3 Game 4 overtime victory didn’t come without controversy.
At 13:03 of overtime, Canucks forward Daniel Sedin was sent to the box for boarding Sharks forward Tommy Wingels. The problem here, however, is the play didn’t look like much of a penalty at all. A mere 15 seconds later, Patrick Marleau was putting a rebound past Cory Schneider and into the net sending the Sharks to the second round and the Canucks home for the summer.
Penalty or not? Have a look for yourself.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the game, referee Kelly Sutherland told TSN’s Farhan Lalji he deemed Sedin’s play a violent shove into the boards in which the player (Wingels) couldn’t defend himself.
The call didn’t cost Vancouver the series, but it certainly cost them the game and a chance to stay alive a little longer.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)