May 8, 2013, 1:23 AM EDT
It took a late game scare and then some but the San Jose Sharks have swept out the Vancouver Canucks with a 4-3 victory in OT.
Patrick Marleau scored a power play goal 13:18 into overtime to give the Sharks the victory. The call that led to the man advantage wouldn’t be without controversy as Daniel Sedin was whistled for boarding Tommy Wingels in OT. Joe Pavelski scored two goals to lead the way for San Jose including a power play goal late in the third to tie things up.
The win gives the Sharks their first playoff sweep in franchise history and makes them the first team to move on to the second round.
Here are your talking points for this one:
— Penalties are sure to be a point of contention as the Sharks tied the game and won it thanks to two iffy calls. A cross-checking call to Kevin Bieksa late in the third led to Pavelski’s power play tally. Sedin’s penalty in OT is sure to generate a lot of heat.
— For what it’s worth, Daniel Sedin got a misconduct for abusive language after the game. Those are 10 minutes he’s probably OK with taking given the circumstances.
— What’s next for Vancouver? A potentially explosive summer. The future of GM Mike Gillis and head coach Alain Vigneault could both be up in the air. Roberto Luongo may have played his final game as a Canuck and had to take a seat the last two games, much as he did last year against the Kings. Guys like David Booth and Chris Higgins could wind up in new uniforms as well. Vancouver’s season might be over, but the drama is just beginning.
— What does San Jose do now that they’ll get nearly a week of rest before the start of the second round? They’ll root for the other three series to be destructive to everyone involved. These Sharks are going to be tough to deal with.
— Want some crazy numbers? Look at what Joe Pavelski, Logan Couture, and Patrick Marleau did. Those three combined for 21 points in the four games against Vancouver. Pavelski finished with five goals and three assists while Couture had three goals and five assists. Marleau had four goals and an assist for himself. He’s so un-clutch.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)