Apr 26, 2013, 2:14 PM EST
Injured Canucks defenseman Chris Tanev (ankle) is “very, very, very doubtful” to be ready for the first game of the playoffs, according to Vancouver assistant coach Rick Bowness (per TSN’s Farhan Lalji).
Tanev, 23, played an average of 17:17 in 38 games this season. If the steady, young blue-liner can’t go, head coach Alain Vigneault will have an interesting decision to make.
The bottom pairing could be veterans Keith Ballard and Andrew Alberts, but Vigneault also now has the option to dress 20-year-old rookie Frank Corrado, who’s acquitted himself rather well in two games since being called up on Monday.
Like Tanev, Corrado is a right-handed shot. (Though unlike Tanev, Corrado spent most of the season in the OHL.)
Bieksa is the only other right-shooting defenseman on the roster.
Cam Barker is also available.
Related: Bieksa also has a ‘body injury’
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 17
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)