Apr 17, 2013, 6:51 PM EDT
Talk about your remarkable comeback stories.
Today, it was announced he’s ready to play.
Redmond has been sent to AHL St. John’s on a conditioning assignment, the team announced on Wednesday.
It marks one of the final steps in a ‘miraculous’ recovery from an injury that put Redmond’s chances of return to pro hockey at 50-50, according to Jets team physician Dr. Peter McDonald.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” McDonald said. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
At the time of the incident, Jets head athletic therapist said Redmond’s laceration was “easily the most grave incident” he’s been a part of during his 12-year career.
Judging by this photo of Redmond’s leg, you can see why:
That picture is the result of some critical response on the part of medical officials and intense rehab from Redmond, who spent significant time in a Raleigh hospital before returning to Winnipeg for testing — and a nice standing ovation from Jets fans.
McDonald couldn’t believe how quickly the 24-year-old rebuilt the strength in his leg.
“We did strength tests on [Redmond] and the leg is performing at 75 per cent, which is incredible considering all the muscles in his inner thigh were severed,” McDonald said in early April. “They seem to be healed up fine and there are no residual problems that we can detect.”
Prior to getting hurt, Redmond was enjoying a successful rookie campaign, scoring 1G-3A-4PTS in eight games while averaging 19:35 time on ice per contest.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)