Apr 5, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Six weeks after suffering a potentially career-ending injury, Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond is back skating.
And it’s nothing short of a miracle.
That’s what the Jets’ team doctor said, telling the Winnipeg Free Press that Redmond’s recovery from a lacerated femoral artery is one for the medical journals.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
McDonald said the injury — which occurred in late February after Antti Miettinen‘s skate sliced open Redmond’s leg during a pregame skate in Carolina — was life-threatening, and there was only a 50-50 chance he would return to play hockey.
Talk about a turnaround in fortunes.
Redmond is now “highly probable” to participate in Winnipeg’s training camp this fall, and could return to full team activities even sooner.
The former Ferris State standout recently returned to Winnipeg after an extended stay in a Raleigh hospital, and McDonald said he’s stunned at how quickly Redmond, 24, has regained his muscle strength.
“We just did strength tests on [Redmond] and the leg is performing at 75 per cent, which is incredible considering all the muscles in his inner thigh were severed,” he explained. “They seem to be healed up fine and there are no residual problems that we can detect.
“He’s had a positive attitude the whole time and he’s a great kid. It’s really just incredible.”
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 0
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 24
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 6
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)