Apr 5, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Six weeks after suffering a potentially career-ending injury, Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond is back skating.
And it’s nothing short of a miracle.
That’s what the Jets’ team doctor said, telling the Winnipeg Free Press that Redmond’s recovery from a lacerated femoral artery is one for the medical journals.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
McDonald said the injury — which occurred in late February after Antti Miettinen‘s skate sliced open Redmond’s leg during a pregame skate in Carolina — was life-threatening, and there was only a 50-50 chance he would return to play hockey.
Talk about a turnaround in fortunes.
Redmond is now “highly probable” to participate in Winnipeg’s training camp this fall, and could return to full team activities even sooner.
The former Ferris State standout recently returned to Winnipeg after an extended stay in a Raleigh hospital, and McDonald said he’s stunned at how quickly Redmond, 24, has regained his muscle strength.
“We just did strength tests on [Redmond] and the leg is performing at 75 per cent, which is incredible considering all the muscles in his inner thigh were severed,” he explained. “They seem to be healed up fine and there are no residual problems that we can detect.
“He’s had a positive attitude the whole time and he’s a great kid. It’s really just incredible.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)