Apr 5, 2013, 12:15 PM EDT
Six weeks after suffering a potentially career-ending injury, Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Redmond is back skating.
And it’s nothing short of a miracle.
That’s what the Jets’ team doctor said, telling the Winnipeg Free Press that Redmond’s recovery from a lacerated femoral artery is one for the medical journals.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
McDonald said the injury — which occurred in late February after Antti Miettinen‘s skate sliced open Redmond’s leg during a pregame skate in Carolina — was life-threatening, and there was only a 50-50 chance he would return to play hockey.
Talk about a turnaround in fortunes.
Redmond is now “highly probable” to participate in Winnipeg’s training camp this fall, and could return to full team activities even sooner.
The former Ferris State standout recently returned to Winnipeg after an extended stay in a Raleigh hospital, and McDonald said he’s stunned at how quickly Redmond, 24, has regained his muscle strength.
“We just did strength tests on [Redmond] and the leg is performing at 75 per cent, which is incredible considering all the muscles in his inner thigh were severed,” he explained. “They seem to be healed up fine and there are no residual problems that we can detect.
“He’s had a positive attitude the whole time and he’s a great kid. It’s really just incredible.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)