Apr 6, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Nice moment at the MTS Center in Winnipeg today as the Jets faithful gave a standing ovation for the presence of defenseman Zach Redmond:
Redmond suffered a severe skate cut in February after getting run over by teammate Antti Miettinen during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.
“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.”
Earlier this week, Redmond returned to the ice and skated, a stunning recovery considering the injury was considered life-threatening and doctors had put his chances of returning to pro hockey at 50-50.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Winnipeg’s team physician, Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 0
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 12
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 26
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)