Apr 6, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Nice moment at the MTS Center in Winnipeg today as the Jets faithful gave a standing ovation for the presence of defenseman Zach Redmond:
Redmond suffered a severe skate cut in February after getting run over by teammate Antti Miettinen during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.
“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.”
Earlier this week, Redmond returned to the ice and skated, a stunning recovery considering the injury was considered life-threatening and doctors had put his chances of returning to pro hockey at 50-50.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Winnipeg’s team physician, Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)