Apr 6, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Nice moment at the MTS Center in Winnipeg today as the Jets faithful gave a standing ovation for the presence of defenseman Zach Redmond:
Redmond suffered a severe skate cut in February after getting run over by teammate Antti Miettinen during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.
“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.”
Earlier this week, Redmond returned to the ice and skated, a stunning recovery considering the injury was considered life-threatening and doctors had put his chances of returning to pro hockey at 50-50.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Winnipeg’s team physician, Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)