Apr 6, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
Nice moment at the MTS Center in Winnipeg today as the Jets faithful gave a standing ovation for the presence of defenseman Zach Redmond:
Redmond suffered a severe skate cut in February after getting run over by teammate Antti Miettinen during a pregame skate in Carolina.
The 24-year-old suffered a lacerated femoral artery and lost nearly two pints of blood, according to Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette.
“I’ve been doing this for 12 years and that’s easily the most grave incident I’ve been a part of, for sure,” Milette told the Winnipeg Sun. “There were a lot of blood vessels that needed repair, along with all the surrounding tissue, the muscles.”
Earlier this week, Redmond returned to the ice and skated, a stunning recovery considering the injury was considered life-threatening and doctors had put his chances of returning to pro hockey at 50-50.
“It’s nothing short of a miracle considering what’s he’s been through,” said Winnipeg’s team physician, Dr. Peter McDonald. “We’re all aware of what happened.
“Considering the magnitude of the injury and the insult, not only to the leg but the whole body, it’s quite miraculous.”
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)