Apr 17, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
With everything that’s gone wrong for the Panthers this season, the last thing they needed were questions about Jacob Markstrom.
But that’s what they’ve got.
The 23-year-old goalie — pegged as the club’s goalie of the future — was thrust into action this year after Jose Theodore was lost to a torn groin, and the returns haven’t been great.
Markstrom’s been wildly inconsistent en route to a less-than-stellar stat line: 6-11, 3.17 GAA, .903 save percentage. He’s also been hooked three times in 15 games.
On Tuesday, he allowed five goals on 18 shots in a 5-2 loss to the Islanders, with the fifth — a backhander from Michael Grabner — ending his night prematurely.
Markstrom was replaced by Scott Clemmensen, which led to this tirade:
“Everybody that’s been a goalie that gets pulled knows that it’s not fun, it’s embarrassing, it’s tough,” Markstrom told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “I’m angry at myself. I want to play good hockey when I’m out there; I want to be a factor when we’re winning games.”
Equally concerning were the quotes Florida goalie coach Robb Tallas gave to the Sun-Sentinel.
“[Markstrom] needs to work on video, go home and continue to grow and come back for a fresh start,” Tallas explained. “There are no guarantees in this league. You’ve got to earn spots in this league. They’re not handed to you.”
Tallas acknowledged Markstrom was in a tough spot. The team in front of him isn’t very good, and he’s often going up against clubs fighting tooth-and-nail for playoff spots.
But Tallas also said the Swedish netminder “has to make a big save to turn the game around,” and that Florida was “trying to keep his confidence right now.”
The big question most will ask is if Florida mishandled Markstrom by throwing him into this situation. He wasn’t given much of an opportunity to succeed.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)