Mar 5, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
The Florida Panthers have a new number one goalie, and his name is Jacob Markstrom.
“We’ve got a lot of confidence in the young man and he’s got a lot of confidence in his abilities,” general manager Dale Tallon said today. “He’s big and strong. We were hoping to hold off a little bit, but let’s go. Let’s see if he can do it, and I’m very confident that he can.”
Markstrom has been waiting in the wings of the organization for quite some time now. The tall 23-year-old Swede was drafted 31st overall in 2008 and has spent the better parts of three seasons in the AHL, with the odd NHL appearance mixed in.
Markstrom has already started two games for the Panthers this season — at Pittsburgh on Feb. 22 (3-1 loss) and versus Boston (4-1 loss) two days later — stopping 65 of 71 shots for a respectable .915 save percentage.
“I’ve been feeling like I’m ready a long time,” said Markstrom. “Just working hard down there in San Antonio, and now I’m here. I’m just excited to be here.”
It’s worth noting that Markstrom has often been the answer to the question, “Why don’t the Panthers trade for Roberto Luongo?”
Now the young goalie will get his chance to show Tallon was right to drive a hard bargain with the Canucks.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)