Mar 5, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
The Florida Panthers have a new number one goalie, and his name is Jacob Markstrom.
“We’ve got a lot of confidence in the young man and he’s got a lot of confidence in his abilities,” general manager Dale Tallon said today. “He’s big and strong. We were hoping to hold off a little bit, but let’s go. Let’s see if he can do it, and I’m very confident that he can.”
Markstrom has been waiting in the wings of the organization for quite some time now. The tall 23-year-old Swede was drafted 31st overall in 2008 and has spent the better parts of three seasons in the AHL, with the odd NHL appearance mixed in.
Markstrom has already started two games for the Panthers this season — at Pittsburgh on Feb. 22 (3-1 loss) and versus Boston (4-1 loss) two days later — stopping 65 of 71 shots for a respectable .915 save percentage.
“I’ve been feeling like I’m ready a long time,” said Markstrom. “Just working hard down there in San Antonio, and now I’m here. I’m just excited to be here.”
It’s worth noting that Markstrom has often been the answer to the question, “Why don’t the Panthers trade for Roberto Luongo?”
Now the young goalie will get his chance to show Tallon was right to drive a hard bargain with the Canucks.
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 1
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)