Mar 5, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
The Florida Panthers have a new number one goalie, and his name is Jacob Markstrom.
“We’ve got a lot of confidence in the young man and he’s got a lot of confidence in his abilities,” general manager Dale Tallon said today. “He’s big and strong. We were hoping to hold off a little bit, but let’s go. Let’s see if he can do it, and I’m very confident that he can.”
Markstrom has been waiting in the wings of the organization for quite some time now. The tall 23-year-old Swede was drafted 31st overall in 2008 and has spent the better parts of three seasons in the AHL, with the odd NHL appearance mixed in.
Markstrom has already started two games for the Panthers this season — at Pittsburgh on Feb. 22 (3-1 loss) and versus Boston (4-1 loss) two days later — stopping 65 of 71 shots for a respectable .915 save percentage.
“I’ve been feeling like I’m ready a long time,” said Markstrom. “Just working hard down there in San Antonio, and now I’m here. I’m just excited to be here.”
It’s worth noting that Markstrom has often been the answer to the question, “Why don’t the Panthers trade for Roberto Luongo?”
Now the young goalie will get his chance to show Tallon was right to drive a hard bargain with the Canucks.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)