Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Goaltender Jacob Markstrom is just 23 years old, but when he hangs up his skates, he might remember Thursday’s 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals as the worst night of his NHL career.
Markstrom faced just two shots and he couldn’t stop either of them before being pulled 3:10 minutes into the game.
After the contest, Panthers coach Kevin Dineen didn’t sugarcoat his assessment of what happened.
“I don’t like to hang out anybody to dry but obviously I don’t think Jacob Markstrom was ready to play tonight,” Dineen said, according to the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
Markstrom stopped 30 shots in a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg that night, but he was down on himself after Thursday’s blowout defeat.
“There’s no excuse for all of us,” Markstrom said in a South Florida Sun-Sentinel report. “It was terrible and I feel like I let the team down.”
You can view the two goals Markstrom allowed below and decide for yourself if they were preventable goals:
Of course, it’s not like Scott Clemmensen could contain the Washington Capitals either. It remains to be seen who the Panthers will start in Friday’s game against the Jets.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 19
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 17
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 17
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 13
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 30
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)