Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Goaltender Jacob Markstrom is just 23 years old, but when he hangs up his skates, he might remember Thursday’s 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals as the worst night of his NHL career.
Markstrom faced just two shots and he couldn’t stop either of them before being pulled 3:10 minutes into the game.
After the contest, Panthers coach Kevin Dineen didn’t sugarcoat his assessment of what happened.
“I don’t like to hang out anybody to dry but obviously I don’t think Jacob Markstrom was ready to play tonight,” Dineen said, according to the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
Markstrom stopped 30 shots in a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg that night, but he was down on himself after Thursday’s blowout defeat.
“There’s no excuse for all of us,” Markstrom said in a South Florida Sun-Sentinel report. “It was terrible and I feel like I let the team down.”
You can view the two goals Markstrom allowed below and decide for yourself if they were preventable goals:
Of course, it’s not like Scott Clemmensen could contain the Washington Capitals either. It remains to be seen who the Panthers will start in Friday’s game against the Jets.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (134)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)