Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Goaltender Jacob Markstrom is just 23 years old, but when he hangs up his skates, he might remember Thursday’s 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals as the worst night of his NHL career.
Markstrom faced just two shots and he couldn’t stop either of them before being pulled 3:10 minutes into the game.
After the contest, Panthers coach Kevin Dineen didn’t sugarcoat his assessment of what happened.
“I don’t like to hang out anybody to dry but obviously I don’t think Jacob Markstrom was ready to play tonight,” Dineen said, according to the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
Markstrom stopped 30 shots in a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg that night, but he was down on himself after Thursday’s blowout defeat.
“There’s no excuse for all of us,” Markstrom said in a South Florida Sun-Sentinel report. “It was terrible and I feel like I let the team down.”
You can view the two goals Markstrom allowed below and decide for yourself if they were preventable goals:
Of course, it’s not like Scott Clemmensen could contain the Washington Capitals either. It remains to be seen who the Panthers will start in Friday’s game against the Jets.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)