Mar 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Goaltender Jacob Markstrom is just 23 years old, but when he hangs up his skates, he might remember Thursday’s 7-1 loss to the Washington Capitals as the worst night of his NHL career.
Markstrom faced just two shots and he couldn’t stop either of them before being pulled 3:10 minutes into the game.
After the contest, Panthers coach Kevin Dineen didn’t sugarcoat his assessment of what happened.
“I don’t like to hang out anybody to dry but obviously I don’t think Jacob Markstrom was ready to play tonight,” Dineen said, according to the Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno.
Markstrom stopped 30 shots in a 4-1 victory over Winnipeg that night, but he was down on himself after Thursday’s blowout defeat.
“There’s no excuse for all of us,” Markstrom said in a South Florida Sun-Sentinel report. “It was terrible and I feel like I let the team down.”
You can view the two goals Markstrom allowed below and decide for yourself if they were preventable goals:
Of course, it’s not like Scott Clemmensen could contain the Washington Capitals either. It remains to be seen who the Panthers will start in Friday’s game against the Jets.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)