Morrow to debut tonight for Pens; Malkin, Letang questionable (Updated)

Mar 26, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT

brendenmorrowgetty Getty Images

Two days after being dealt to the Pittsburgh Penguins, former Dallas Stars captain Brenden Morrow practiced on a line with Dustin Jeffrey and James Neal.

With that, the stage is set for Morrow to make his Penguins debut tonight against the Montreal Canadiens, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie.

Pittsburgh has won 12 games in a row and has a chance to strengthen its hold on the top seed with a win over the 20-6-5 Canadiens.

The Penguins might not be at full strength for the contest, though. Defenseman Kris Letang (groin) and Evgeni Malkin (shoulder) remain questionable for tonight, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Seth Rorabaugh.

“They’re both very close,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said.

It’s also worth noting that defenseman Douglas Murray, who was acquired from the San Jose Sharks, won’t be in Pittsburgh until this evening and is consequently not expected to play against Montreal, based on the Post-Gazette’s report.

Update (3:49 p.m. ET):

Letang has been removed from injured reserve while the Pens have sent defenseman Simon Despres to the AHL.

Translation: Decent chance Letang plays tonight, though still no official word.

1. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I’m not going to believe Dan Byslma I think Malkin will be out for the rest of the year including the playoffs this is why the Penguins won’t win the Stanley Cup this year. I believe that the Penguins can’t win the cup without Evgeni Malkin. Even if Malkin can comeback this year I wouldn’t allow them allow to play I would put him on season ending IR. I’d rather have Geno healthy next year for a run at a cup then rush him back this year for a shot at the cup.

• jpelle82 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM

wtf dude…he has a shoulder issue, its not like a career in the balance knee reconstruction or concussion. he will be back, you can count on that, whether he re-injures himself is yet to be seen but you can bet he will be in the lineup sooner than later…i’d be worried about letang if he has a groin, its a much tougher nagging injury for players to bounce back from

• steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yeah I guess Malkin hasn’t done anything this year anyway so it’s not that big of a loss if he misses the rest of the year!

• crosberries - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Wait so because letang and Malkin are skating extra together and holding them out because there is no rush to return them Malkin is going to be out the rest of the year???? We’re not talking football recovery or are you talking Harrison is done? Shero also made trades for this year to put us over the hump. Yeah your right Malkin is done. Are you even reading what you type??

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:02 PM

You really need to stick to football man. When i read your posts i feel like banging my head against the wall. Please either educate yourself or quit making pens fans look stupid by posting such non sense.

• steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Actually I have been watching hockey for a pretty long time I am only 16 so I started watching hockey when I was in 4th grade and i’m in the 10th grade right now. I’m actually a bigger hockey fan then a football fan. I really don’t understand why Malkin is being kind of a wimp. Really Malkin you can’t play because your shoulder is sore? Really!!!!!!

• sportsfreak13 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Let me seperate your shoulder and you tell me how it feels. Since your 16 im not going to belittle you too much, but you have alot of learning to do. You need to post less, and educate yourself more.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Don’t you ever speak out against the douchapocolypse its an offense that is punishable by 50 or more thumbs down ahahahahahahhahahhahahahhahahhaha you’s need to lighten up losers ! See ya’s in the first round !

• ironman721 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Egglesno… What happened man? You were doing so well.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Are you thinking he’s still out from the head injury? He’s just got a banged up shoulder – he’ll be fine. I think Bylsma more than anyone knows the bigger picture – they’re in first place in the East and there’s no reason to rush them back.

• steelpenbucs87 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

This is completely silly and not a single piece of this comment deserves any merit.

Unless this is a troll-job in which case this is artful – borderline masterful.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Broad Street? Is that YOU?

hahaha

• upyoursnfu - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Well he did say he was 16….so it could be him.

• killerpgh - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Shouldn’t a 16 year old be is school at the time off these post? My guess is its a flyers fan having fun.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Uh no its not. Only the losers from the fanboy franchise post under multiple user accounts. I prefer to engage your douchbaggery under my own handle. That being said I wish Geno a speedy return so we can repeat last years playoff dominance of him.

• hockeywithdrawal - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Fair enough – you two crack me up.

• ironman721 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM

๐Ÿšจโš Warning we have a troll advisory! broadstbaby ๐Ÿšผ๐Ÿผhas been spotted trolling on yet another Penโ€™s article. This loser is considered extremely stupid. His team is well under .500, next to no chance of making the playoffs, and yet he still cries, talks ๐Ÿšฎ, and insults women to prove his point. Do not engage him in direct conversation. Doing so can cause serious loss in IQ points. You have been warned!๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿš“๐Ÿš”

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hey irondildo is back at it again with the emoticons I know intelligence isn’t your strong suit, but as you can see I was responding to hockeywithdrawl’s jab. You can go back to painting your toenails now sister.

• ironman721 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

๐Ÿ˜ฟ๐Ÿšผ๐Ÿ’…

2. jpelle82 - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM

here we go, hopefully there’s some chemistry. would love to see morrow digging around the crease on the 2nd pp unit too. jeffrey had a beast of a game against philly despite being off the score sheet, he had the only chances the pens got in that whole 1st period it seemed – i give him a hard time but he has played well lately

3. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Hey I actually got 1 like! Thank you who ever liked my comment!

• jaybaileys - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM

should’t you be at recess, go study or something, you have plenty of time to grow up and be a loser like us,lol

4. coronakid76 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I’m surprised ?Crosby hasn’t pulled an abdominal muscle with all the diving he does. For a player with this so called impressive core strength he goes down real easy.

• theageofquarrel - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Go away worm

• coronakid76 - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Really cant argue the point. It’s sad to see someone with his talent not be respected by his peers…He plays dirty and cries to the officials every single shift. There must be some NO HIT memo sent by Campbell to protect his money train.

5. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Um… By the way how many goals, assists, and points in total? Goals= 5, Assists=19, Points=24, and plus/minus= -1. Yeah that’s what I thought Malkin is really setting the world on fire!

• theageofquarrel - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Seriously? Now you are just being a asshole.

• steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM

YOU MAD BRO?

• theageofquarrel - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Not at all. I just think you are a 16 year old asshole that should have been either spit out or swallowed.

• steelpenbucs87 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Yeah! Screw this guy and his 1.14 points per game – good for 9th in the NHL.

Also +/- is a terrible stat. It’s more indicative of a players’ competition and the zone in which he plays rather than his offensive output/defensive prowess.

6. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

How effective would Malkin be even if he did comeback? I would rather give up a Stanley Cup this year to have Malkin healthy next year and make a more strong run at the cup next year. When Malkin is healthy he was one of the best players in hockey but if he plays injured he probally won’t be able to perform. Plus I don’t want Geno back until his 100% if it takes to next year it takes to next year. The penguins are doind be pretty damn well without him and that’s all i’m saying.

• upyoursnfu - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Either your a fan of another team trying to get a rise out of people or your a complete moron. I am going to think maybe a little of both. Definitely somewhat of a moron.

7. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Man I just love pissing people off!

8. gamechanger87 - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Who knew that 16 yr old girls were on here…..dont break a nail typing ur pointless drivel sweetie

9. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM

No I was sick today. I’m actually a hardcore Pens fan but I’m not afraid to rip into my favorite players wether it be Pitt,Steelers,Pirates,or Penguins.

10. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM

All I’m saying is if Malkin isn’t 100% I don’t think he should play. If it takes to the next game great if it takes to next season then oh well. All I’m trying to say is I don’t want him to comeback to soon and get injured again and be out longer.

11. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Okay so the Penguins take Kris Letang off IR and send down Depres? Letang has worst injury than Malkin! I would defiantly sit Letang a little longer. A groin injury is defiantly tough to beat and Letang already re injured his groin you don’t want to see him injure it a 3rd time.

• steelpenbucs87 - Mar 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM

It was his hip……..

• coronakid76 - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Why not sit them longer though. He has a point. The team is on fire right now and all but guaranteed to make the playoffs with how the rest of the East is playing. I’d stay away from the presidents trophy if I were them though. No a good history of winning the cup and the Presidents trophy. Let em’ all heal and get a little rest….Their offense is masking the goaltending woes this year…..Fleury is a bit of a head case, Maybe play Vokun? a lil more…Good thing for the the Flyers wont make it in, at least they have a chance to make it to the 2nd round this year.

• upyoursnfu - Mar 26, 2013 at 5:37 PM

How do you know whose injury is worse? Are you one of the Pens trainers? Like a said in a previous post, you intact are a moron.

12. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Obviously if someone has a groin injury it’s probably going to be worse than a arm injury.

13. steelers88 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

And I’m not talking about pain I’m talking about how nagging a groin injury is over a arm injury.

14. ironman721 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Pens just need to get healthy and rest up for the playoffs. This team is loaded so it’s cup or bust! Let’s go Pens๐Ÿงโ—

15. jacketsfan7 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Pens would be stupid not to make him an alternate captain next year

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches