Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Brian Campbell has played 766 minutes and 53 seconds this season, the most among all NHL skaters.
And because he’s played those minutes for the Florida Panthers, his plus-minus rating has taken a beating.
Heading into Monday night’s action, Campbell ranks dead last among the league’s 765 skaters with a minus-20 rating, a startling number from a guy that’s plus-24 for his career (and went +51 over three years with Chicago.)
Of course, plus-minus has always been a contentious metric. It’s a team dependent statistic, so players on bad teams are going to have bad ratings, suggesting the plus-minus number isn’t truly indicative of an individual’s performance.
That’s part of the reason why Panthers GM Dale Tallon isn’t concerned about it.
“He plays 30 minutes a game on a team that has a hard time keeping the puck out of the net,” Tallon told the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “I’m not worried about Brian Campbell.”
To wit, Campbell’s not alone in the NHL’s basement for plus-minus.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- LIVE: Spurs can clinch title vs. Heat in Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'