Mar 5, 2013, 11:16 AM EDT
Weiss, 29, was having a tough season, with just one goal and three assists in 17 games. But at the very least, the pending unrestricted free agent offered a potential trade chip for Tallon to play by the April 3 deadline.
Instead, it’s possible the Panthers could lose Weiss — their second-leading scoring in franchise history (394 points), behind Olli Jokinen (419) — to free agency for nothing.
And for playoff teams looking for help down the middle, Weiss is one fewer target.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)