Mar 5, 2013, 11:16 AM EST
Weiss, 29, was having a tough season, with just one goal and three assists in 17 games. But at the very least, the pending unrestricted free agent offered a potential trade chip for Tallon to play by the April 3 deadline.
Instead, it’s possible the Panthers could lose Weiss — their second-leading scoring in franchise history (394 points), behind Olli Jokinen (419) — to free agency for nothing.
And for playoff teams looking for help down the middle, Weiss is one fewer target.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4