Flyers aren’t ‘done’ yet thanks to shootout win over Devils

Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT

Flyers Getty Images

So, what will Ilya Bryzgalov have to say now?

The Philadelphia Flyers goalie, who said his team would be done if they lost both games of a home-and-home series with the New Jersey Devils, stopped 27 of 28 shots faced Friday in a 2-1 Philadelphia shootout win over New Jersey.

And all is not lost in Philadelphia, as the Flyers won for the third time in seven games this month.

Prior to Friday’s win, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren reportedly addressed the team – hockey stick in hand and angry temperament on the mind.

For the Devils, their attempt to put their Atlantic Division rivals even further behind them was unsuccessful.

“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told per NHL.com earlier on Friday.

“Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”

The Devils are still in the top eight in the Eastern Conference – sixth to be specific. The Flyers are still 11th in the East, but three points back of the Winnipeg Jets for that eighth and final playoff spot.

1. broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Bryz stood on his head tonight!

• mpg44 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

He needs to thank the goal post for that win.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

All that hate is gonna burn you up. Good luck with beach ball in net.

• mpg44 - Mar 16, 2013 at 6:23 AM

That beach ball is doing way better then your space monkeying net moron!!

2. hockeyfan28 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Brz gets a lot of heat but tonight the man would not let the flyers lose this game

• 2jivecrew - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

He was pretty much the only one. Devs had some killer shorthanded chances tonight and were flat out the better team all over the ice.

3. clawedjeroo28 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Hopefully this game will shut up all the Bryz haters. Gets hung out to dry by his defense every game, made some big saves tonight

• bobhpine - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Such an amazing game. SO clutch in so many aspects of the game. I mean, with the season on the line this amazing Flyer team let it go to a shootout and scored only one total goal in 65 minutes. What a high scoring clutch team.

Strong performance. 1975 will be a distant memory after this year.

1975. There it is again.

1975.

• ml3939 - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Bobhpiningforattention yet again.

• bobhpine - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:16 AM

ml3939…the dude in his mid-forties (at the earliest) who accuses me of being “old”…I’m in my twenties.

How amazing was that win for you dude? Did it give you shades of ’75? That one even strength goal in 65 minutes bodes well for the Stanley Cup run, right?

Oh who am I kidding? You people don’t care about cup runs! You like those playoff appearances and attendance figures as compared with the Pens. Keep aspiring for that 2013 playoff appearance.

You have a little ways to go and you probably won’t make it, but ml3939 will be on his couch either way.

Giroux is still the best in the world!!!!

• ml3939 - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I will just repost my response to your previous idiocy-

It is fittingly ironic how flawed you are in your thinking, rationale and questioning when you attempt to be a literal prick. Again, you are wrong in all of your assumptions. You may want seek out an educated individual to read over your drivel.

You unsuccessfully argue against any of my points leaving you with the Pens lone advantage- 3 cups and their recency. And that is all that you have. By your logic, the Pens have been unsuccessful for 41 years and realistically you are not far off. Furthermore, you must not have experienced any joy in watching your team for over 20 years other than 3 games. In your eyes, regular season and playoff series wins are not reason to celebrate. I hope you remain quiet while drinking wine in a suite at the games and the Penguins score or even happen to win.

The Flyers absolutely dwarf the Penguins in all other measures of success. It is not even close. The Pens lone advantage is 3-2. I would say that is pretty darn close.

And please, feel free to address the fact that the Penguins first two cups are tainted by the fact at they played without integrity losing on purpose to draft Mario. Pretty pathetic. To put that in perspective, during the worst run in Flyers’ franchise history, they had enough talent on their roster to trade for the rights to Eric Lindros, as valuable a player ever to enter the draft (if you are going to address this point, stick to the point and don’t deflect with his injury history which limited his ability to play up to his potential). I am pretty sure the Pens did not have the talent available to trade for either Mario’s or Sid’s left skates when they were draft eligible. In fact the Pens were so bad they drafted either 1 or 2 four draft in a row. Point is, even at their worst, the Flyers are much better than the Pens. Some may even say having so many high draft picks and only one cup to show is a failure.

So please, if you are going to respond, address what I am saying.

• cerealrapist - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Phenomenal post, Bobhpine.

• bobhpine - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM

3-2

All the other typing by you is superfluous. It’s rationalization.

I don’t even read it dude. 38 years for you. 4 years for me. I loved it when my team won so recently. I love it that my team dominates yours presently.

Dude. PLEASE let me know when you make it to a game. I’m serious. I really want you to make it to one some day. It’d be sad otherwise. If you ever be to Pittsburgh, I really would get you a ticket. I feel badly for you.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Pineybob’s mom is also a high scoring team.

• ml3939 - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Again more bobhpiningforattention avoiding the real points. I guess you have redefined domination. The Pens have won 2 of 3 against the Flyers this year out scoring them by 2 goals total in the 3 games. They won the last game by one goal. I believe the Flyers embarrassed the cup favorites last year in the playoffs and won the season series 4-2.

• ml3939 - Mar 16, 2013 at 2:01 AM

And since your posts are basically redundant garbage, Flyers suck, Giroux has red hair and 1975, I will do the same-

Bobhpiningforattention at it again. It seems like you have gotten to a few Flyers fans. I think I can clear some issue up here.

If you guys did not know, Bob is also the kind of guy that boasts about drinking wine. I am not sure why, but it is a proclamation he made in a prior post. Bob also is owner of multiple poodles, a real man’s man. It’s a shame this site does not offer posters an option to have an avatar. I would just love to them in matching sweaters. Now you must be asking, why am I telling you all of this?

You see Bobhpiningforattention is a bitter old Penguins’ fan who has endured lifetime of losing to the Flyers. The Flyers are 142-84-30 (via NHL Reference.com) all time versus his beloved Pens. The Flyers are also 4-2 in postseason series against them. Since both teams have entered the league, the Flyers have finished with more points in the regular season 30 times, while the Pens have only finished ahead of the Flyers 11 times and 3 times they were even. In the playoffs the Flyers have advanced further than the Pens 28 times, while the Pens have advanced further 12 times and 4 times they were knocked out in the same round. The Pens also hold a 17-8 margin in missing the playoffs. Just so you know bobhpiningforattention, the larger number is not the better number in this instance.

So as you can see, in 44 years Bobhpiningforattention’s team has been more successful 11-12 times or approximately 25-27% of the time. Bobhpiningforattention’s team also admittedly lost games to draft their franchise’s greatest player Mario Lemeiux. So all of the successes beyond that point lack integrity to some degree. It almost makes you question the legitimacy of the first two cups. I have no qualms about the third one but if the franchise had played with respectability, Mario would have been a Devil and the Penguins would have relocated elsewhere leaving the third cup to a more deserving city. And all bobhpiningforattention would have left is wine and poodles. I believe that would make him a male “cat-lady.”

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Bobhpine, you are such a conceited dbag. Everyone is so impressed that you’re in your twenties and can afford Pens tickets. I’m sure everyone in the City of Pittsburgh, no the state of Pennsylvania, bows to your presence. Like you said, “38 years (for ml3939). 4 years for you (Bobhpine)”- the number of years each of you has been a fan of your respective teams.

4. phillyphanatic77 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM

These are the type of games the Flyers have come out on the wrong end of all season. I was just saying after Wednesdays game that Bryz doesn’t ever seem to steal a game… well he did just that tonight. The team played a much smarter, more conservative game and it worked. Still had some boneheaded mistakes but I’ll take the two points. Bryz wins a shootout!? Can’t believe it but thank the lord. Long way to go to get a playoff spot but much needed points. Put some wins together now, just gotta get to that #8 spot.

• bobhpine - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Not that Sidney Crosby would ever be playing for his playoff life at this point in the season…but the flyers have been desperate for quite some time…

And where is Giroux?

I mean, the guy hasn’t taken over a game all year…let alone a game of any importance.

Crosby has 46 points in 27 games. Cue the organ, Philly! Crosby sucks! Crosby sucks!

Let me know when Giroux hits 40…in 2014

Oh and 1975…you guys ain’t winning the cup this years dn you know it. Losers.

• sweezz - Mar 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Do you hate the Flyers more than you like the Pens? I’m confused.

• phillyphanatic77 - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Bobhpine: “troll, troll, troll, on my knees for Crosby, troll, troll, troll, Giroux is a ginger, troll, 1975, troll, Filthy.” Bring something original to the table for once dude. We all know what you’re gonna say on each and every Flyers page.

5. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:29 PM

They are so done. They would have to go 14 & 6 in the last 20 games of the season to have a chance at making the playoffs. Not going to happen.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Please share your Neanderthal math with the rest of us.

• valoisjoeybfeld69 - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Currently WPG is in 8th with 3 games over 500. So, if they are to remain on pace, no better, or no worse than they have been, they can be at 5 or 6 games above 500. These means the flyers have to go 14 & 6 in the last 20 games or 13 & 6 in the last 19 after last night’s win. Plus, they are 2 teams between them and the final playoff position. Catching one team is hard enough, but now they are in a position to have to catch three. No way this team can play 13 & 9 hockey after beig so dismal. Same applies to all the teams who are currently below 500. Take Dallas for example. They are in the same situation, and the teams below the flyers and stars are NOT going to make it. Islanders, Rangers, Preds, and Yottes have a chance while the others can start shinning their golf clubs and start planning the summer vacation.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM

So now you are predicting how ALL the teams on the cusp of getting in the playoffs are going to play. Thats just genius.

6. hockeywithdrawal - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Not trying to be rude, I only saw half a period (I’m asking honestly) – how is Giroux, with no goals, no assists, 4 shots and 2 hits, the first star of this game?

• 2jivecrew - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

You serious?! Aside from the shootout goal he was flat out invisible. Yet again.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Six points out a possible 14 so far in March Iam underwhelmed to say the least !

7. clawedjeroo28 - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Shouldn’t of been the first star. He was invisible most of the game. Did have a pretty nasty shootout goal though. Should have been 3. Giroux 2. Talbot 1. Bryzzzzzz

8. mclovinhockey - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM

G got first star???

I would go
    1. Bryz
    2.headberg
    3.g

9. 950003cups - Mar 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Dang!! They live to fight another day.

10. sjsharks66 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Bryz is such a good goaltender. Despite all the criticism he has gotten.

Aside from the article. Who thinks schenn will meet with Shanaban? Not taking anything away from the flyers victory, but he did leave his feet. No article about it so i figured I would ask you all what you thought about it?

11. sjsharks66 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

And as soon as i hit post an article pops up. -_- ignore my last section of the comment.

12. 950003cups - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:29 AM

All the Giroux talk is real. He hid under an ice cube in the biggest game of the year. Not someone you wanna look to any longer. Just sayin’ if Tortorella were his coach, he’d be in big trouble. Bryzgalov looked good.

13. broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 16, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Hi I’m a Hens fan. I have an inferiority complex from being from the irrelevant part of the state or a fanboy from Saskatoon. I fantasize about having sexual relations with Cindy Crysby while he pulls my hair like I’m Kristina Letang.. I have nothing better to do than post on every single Flyers thread on PHT. PHI: 143–91-30…Yeah we have been totally dominated by the featherless birds…..D-bags.

• ironman721 - Mar 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM

😿

• upyoursnfu - Mar 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Your mom’s basement must be flooded from all your tears.

• pwilson264 - Mar 16, 2013 at 10:12 AM

your a hens fan too

• ironman721 - Mar 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It’s kind of pathetic that your team just got a huge, hard fought, and well deserved win and the only thing you can do is complain about another team and fan base that didn’t even play on Friday. Now I am done with you!

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Maybe we wouldn’t complain about your fanboy bandwagon “fan” base. Is because tools like you and Piney Bob can’t restrain yourself from ejaculating all over every Flyers thread with your nonsense and player hating. I see a #1 seed Hens meeting a #8 seed Flyers in the playoffs this year. We both know the real reason you don’t want the Flyers to make the playoffs.

14. csilojohnson - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

A lot of hypocrites on this thread. And everyother Flyers or Pens article. Its an arguement that never ends. Each side forgets their last justification if only to justify their next.
    Great win for the Flyers. Can’t say they deserved it. Bryz definitely stole that one. As a Pens fan I was hoping the Flyers would win this one. (in regulation!!)

• broadstreetbeatdown - Mar 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Another Hens fan throwing in his worthless 2 cents.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D