Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
So, what will Ilya Bryzgalov have to say now?
The Philadelphia Flyers goalie, who said his team would be done if they lost both games of a home-and-home series with the New Jersey Devils, stopped 27 of 28 shots faced Friday in a 2-1 Philadelphia shootout win over New Jersey.
And all is not lost in Philadelphia, as the Flyers won for the third time in seven games this month.
Prior to Friday’s win, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren reportedly addressed the team – hockey stick in hand and angry temperament on the mind.
For the Devils, their attempt to put their Atlantic Division rivals even further behind them was unsuccessful.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told per NHL.com earlier on Friday.
“Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
The Devils are still in the top eight in the Eastern Conference – sixth to be specific. The Flyers are still 11th in the East, but three points back of the Winnipeg Jets for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 7
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 50
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)