Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM EST
So, what will Ilya Bryzgalov have to say now?
The Philadelphia Flyers goalie, who said his team would be done if they lost both games of a home-and-home series with the New Jersey Devils, stopped 27 of 28 shots faced Friday in a 2-1 Philadelphia shootout win over New Jersey.
And all is not lost in Philadelphia, as the Flyers won for the third time in seven games this month.
Prior to Friday’s win, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren reportedly addressed the team – hockey stick in hand and angry temperament on the mind.
For the Devils, their attempt to put their Atlantic Division rivals even further behind them was unsuccessful.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told per NHL.com earlier on Friday.
“Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
The Devils are still in the top eight in the Eastern Conference – sixth to be specific. The Flyers are still 11th in the East, but three points back of the Winnipeg Jets for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)