Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
So, what will Ilya Bryzgalov have to say now?
The Philadelphia Flyers goalie, who said his team would be done if they lost both games of a home-and-home series with the New Jersey Devils, stopped 27 of 28 shots faced Friday in a 2-1 Philadelphia shootout win over New Jersey.
And all is not lost in Philadelphia, as the Flyers won for the third time in seven games this month.
Prior to Friday’s win, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren reportedly addressed the team – hockey stick in hand and angry temperament on the mind.
For the Devils, their attempt to put their Atlantic Division rivals even further behind them was unsuccessful.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told per NHL.com earlier on Friday.
“Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
The Devils are still in the top eight in the Eastern Conference – sixth to be specific. The Flyers are still 11th in the East, but three points back of the Winnipeg Jets for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)