Mar 15, 2013, 10:09 PM EST
So, what will Ilya Bryzgalov have to say now?
The Philadelphia Flyers goalie, who said his team would be done if they lost both games of a home-and-home series with the New Jersey Devils, stopped 27 of 28 shots faced Friday in a 2-1 Philadelphia shootout win over New Jersey.
And all is not lost in Philadelphia, as the Flyers won for the third time in seven games this month.
Prior to Friday’s win, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren reportedly addressed the team – hockey stick in hand and angry temperament on the mind.
For the Devils, their attempt to put their Atlantic Division rivals even further behind them was unsuccessful.
“We want to try to bury the teams below us as quickly as possible,” Devils head coach Pete DeBoer told per NHL.com earlier on Friday.
“Doesn’t matter whether it’s Philadelphia or Florida or anybody else — you get an opportunity to separate yourself from the teams below you, you want to take full advantage of that. It’s all about getting points right now. It’s not necessarily about the opponent; it’s about putting points on the board and trying to solidify a spot in the top eight.”
The Devils are still in the top eight in the Eastern Conference – sixth to be specific. The Flyers are still 11th in the East, but three points back of the Winnipeg Jets for that eighth and final playoff spot.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 8
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 48
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)