Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
They’ve played more games than any team in the NHL, and they’re still only 11th place in the Eastern Conference.
We’re talking, of course, about the 12-14-1 Philadelphia Flyers. After 27 games, they sit three points back of the eighth-place Rangers, who have three games in hand.
With 21 games left in the shortened schedule, Philadelphia is estimating it has to win 15 games to get into the playoffs. A tall order for any team, let alone one that has yet to win three in a row this season.
“For some reason, whether we are fragile or what, we don’t seem comfortable playing at 0-0 or even 1-0,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said Monday, per Philly.com. “You look at that game against Boston Saturday. As soon as they scored that power-play goal, we became unraveled. We don’t seem to be able to gather ourselves up.”
Holmgren also spoke about the goaltending the Flyers have received from Ilya Bryzgalov, whose save percentage has fallen to .899 after a strong start.
“Some nights we need to play better,” said Holmgren. “Some nights he needs to play better.”
Philadelphia is in New Jersey Wednesday and hosts the seventh-place Devils (12-9-5) Friday in a rematch.
“Big two games,” said recent acquisition Simon Gagne, “maybe the two biggest games of the season for us. After that it could be a big difference where we want to be in the standings.”
Bryz says Flyers are “done” if they lose next two to NJ. #Flyers
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) March 12, 2013
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)