Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
They’ve played more games than any team in the NHL, and they’re still only 11th place in the Eastern Conference.
We’re talking, of course, about the 12-14-1 Philadelphia Flyers. After 27 games, they sit three points back of the eighth-place Rangers, who have three games in hand.
With 21 games left in the shortened schedule, Philadelphia is estimating it has to win 15 games to get into the playoffs. A tall order for any team, let alone one that has yet to win three in a row this season.
“For some reason, whether we are fragile or what, we don’t seem comfortable playing at 0-0 or even 1-0,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said Monday, per Philly.com. “You look at that game against Boston Saturday. As soon as they scored that power-play goal, we became unraveled. We don’t seem to be able to gather ourselves up.”
Holmgren also spoke about the goaltending the Flyers have received from Ilya Bryzgalov, whose save percentage has fallen to .899 after a strong start.
“Some nights we need to play better,” said Holmgren. “Some nights he needs to play better.”
Philadelphia is in New Jersey Wednesday and hosts the seventh-place Devils (12-9-5) Friday in a rematch.
“Big two games,” said recent acquisition Simon Gagne, “maybe the two biggest games of the season for us. After that it could be a big difference where we want to be in the standings.”
Bryz says Flyers are “done” if they lose next two to NJ. #Flyers
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) March 12, 2013
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 25
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)