Mar 12, 2013, 12:25 PM EDT
They’ve played more games than any team in the NHL, and they’re still only 11th place in the Eastern Conference.
We’re talking, of course, about the 12-14-1 Philadelphia Flyers. After 27 games, they sit three points back of the eighth-place Rangers, who have three games in hand.
With 21 games left in the shortened schedule, Philadelphia is estimating it has to win 15 games to get into the playoffs. A tall order for any team, let alone one that has yet to win three in a row this season.
“For some reason, whether we are fragile or what, we don’t seem comfortable playing at 0-0 or even 1-0,” Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said Monday, per Philly.com. “You look at that game against Boston Saturday. As soon as they scored that power-play goal, we became unraveled. We don’t seem to be able to gather ourselves up.”
Holmgren also spoke about the goaltending the Flyers have received from Ilya Bryzgalov, whose save percentage has fallen to .899 after a strong start.
“Some nights we need to play better,” said Holmgren. “Some nights he needs to play better.”
Philadelphia is in New Jersey Wednesday and hosts the seventh-place Devils (12-9-5) Friday in a rematch.
“Big two games,” said recent acquisition Simon Gagne, “maybe the two biggest games of the season for us. After that it could be a big difference where we want to be in the standings.”
Bryz says Flyers are “done” if they lose next two to NJ. #Flyers
— Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) March 12, 2013
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)