Mar 15, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
Thursday before practice, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren had a bit of a chit-chat with his struggling team.
And by chit-chat, we mean this…
Publicly and privately, the players say Holmgren lashed out about the team’s woeful recent slate of losses and its lack of competitiveness. He did so with a stick in hand, leading one player to say, he thought the GM was going to spear every player in the room. Holmgren was that angry.
That description of Holmgren’s tirade, courtesy CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
Philadelphia — five points out of the playoffs with just 20 games remaining — hosts New Jersey tonight. The Flyers lost to the Devils on Wednesday, prompting much speculation about the job security of both Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette.
Yesterday, Holmgren gave Laviolette a vote of confidence, putting the onus on the players to get the job done.
Said veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen today: “Sometimes you need to hear what you do wrong and do right and what the expectations are from their end. But we’re the ones who play the game and we’re the ones on the ice, so we have to go out there and do our jobs.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 3
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 13
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 16
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)