Mar 15, 2013, 1:55 PM EST
Thursday before practice, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren had a bit of a chit-chat with his struggling team.
And by chit-chat, we mean this…
Publicly and privately, the players say Holmgren lashed out about the team’s woeful recent slate of losses and its lack of competitiveness. He did so with a stick in hand, leading one player to say, he thought the GM was going to spear every player in the room. Holmgren was that angry.
That description of Holmgren’s tirade, courtesy CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
Philadelphia — five points out of the playoffs with just 20 games remaining — hosts New Jersey tonight. The Flyers lost to the Devils on Wednesday, prompting much speculation about the job security of both Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette.
Yesterday, Holmgren gave Laviolette a vote of confidence, putting the onus on the players to get the job done.
Said veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen today: “Sometimes you need to hear what you do wrong and do right and what the expectations are from their end. But we’re the ones who play the game and we’re the ones on the ice, so we have to go out there and do our jobs.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)