Mar 15, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
Thursday before practice, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren had a bit of a chit-chat with his struggling team.
And by chit-chat, we mean this…
Publicly and privately, the players say Holmgren lashed out about the team’s woeful recent slate of losses and its lack of competitiveness. He did so with a stick in hand, leading one player to say, he thought the GM was going to spear every player in the room. Holmgren was that angry.
That description of Holmgren’s tirade, courtesy CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio.
Philadelphia — five points out of the playoffs with just 20 games remaining — hosts New Jersey tonight. The Flyers lost to the Devils on Wednesday, prompting much speculation about the job security of both Holmgren and head coach Peter Laviolette.
Yesterday, Holmgren gave Laviolette a vote of confidence, putting the onus on the players to get the job done.
Said veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen today: “Sometimes you need to hear what you do wrong and do right and what the expectations are from their end. But we’re the ones who play the game and we’re the ones on the ice, so we have to go out there and do our jobs.”
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 26
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)