Mar 15, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White apparently hasn’t asked for a trade, despite being a healthy scratch in seven of his team’s last nine games prior to Friday.
I just want to play,” White told MLive.com prior to Detroit’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. “I’m going to come to the rink every day and be a good teammate and try to make my teammates better.
“I haven’t asked for a trade. That’s up to management, what personnel they want around and what changes they want to make to the team. So, I just show up and work hard and try to help everyone get better, help this team get wins.”
White, 28, is a pending unrestricted free agent this summer, but doesn’t appear to fit in among Detroit’s top blue liners, according to head coach Mike Babcock.
In 15 games this season, White has one goal and one assist and is a minus-one. He is also coming off a 32-point regular season in 2011-12 for the Red Wings.
He recently expressed the need to stay positive, but admitted last week that “…it’s really a frustrating time.”
The Red Wings play the Oilers Friday and will then travel to Vancouver for a Saturday night showdown with the Canucks.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22