Mar 15, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White apparently hasn’t asked for a trade, despite being a healthy scratch in seven of his team’s last nine games prior to Friday.
I just want to play,” White told MLive.com prior to Detroit’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. “I’m going to come to the rink every day and be a good teammate and try to make my teammates better.
“I haven’t asked for a trade. That’s up to management, what personnel they want around and what changes they want to make to the team. So, I just show up and work hard and try to help everyone get better, help this team get wins.”
White, 28, is a pending unrestricted free agent this summer, but doesn’t appear to fit in among Detroit’s top blue liners, according to head coach Mike Babcock.
In 15 games this season, White has one goal and one assist and is a minus-one. He is also coming off a 32-point regular season in 2011-12 for the Red Wings.
He recently expressed the need to stay positive, but admitted last week that “…it’s really a frustrating time.”
The Red Wings play the Oilers Friday and will then travel to Vancouver for a Saturday night showdown with the Canucks.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)