Mar 15, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White apparently hasn’t asked for a trade, despite being a healthy scratch in seven of his team’s last nine games prior to Friday.
I just want to play,” White told MLive.com prior to Detroit’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. “I’m going to come to the rink every day and be a good teammate and try to make my teammates better.
“I haven’t asked for a trade. That’s up to management, what personnel they want around and what changes they want to make to the team. So, I just show up and work hard and try to help everyone get better, help this team get wins.”
White, 28, is a pending unrestricted free agent this summer, but doesn’t appear to fit in among Detroit’s top blue liners, according to head coach Mike Babcock.
In 15 games this season, White has one goal and one assist and is a minus-one. He is also coming off a 32-point regular season in 2011-12 for the Red Wings.
He recently expressed the need to stay positive, but admitted last week that “…it’s really a frustrating time.”
The Red Wings play the Oilers Friday and will then travel to Vancouver for a Saturday night showdown with the Canucks.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)