Mar 15, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White apparently hasn’t asked for a trade, despite being a healthy scratch in seven of his team’s last nine games prior to Friday.
I just want to play,” White told MLive.com prior to Detroit’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. “I’m going to come to the rink every day and be a good teammate and try to make my teammates better.
“I haven’t asked for a trade. That’s up to management, what personnel they want around and what changes they want to make to the team. So, I just show up and work hard and try to help everyone get better, help this team get wins.”
White, 28, is a pending unrestricted free agent this summer, but doesn’t appear to fit in among Detroit’s top blue liners, according to head coach Mike Babcock.
In 15 games this season, White has one goal and one assist and is a minus-one. He is also coming off a 32-point regular season in 2011-12 for the Red Wings.
He recently expressed the need to stay positive, but admitted last week that “…it’s really a frustrating time.”
The Red Wings play the Oilers Friday and will then travel to Vancouver for a Saturday night showdown with the Canucks.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (62)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)