Mar 15, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White apparently hasn’t asked for a trade, despite being a healthy scratch in seven of his team’s last nine games prior to Friday.
I just want to play,” White told MLive.com prior to Detroit’s game against the Edmonton Oilers. “I’m going to come to the rink every day and be a good teammate and try to make my teammates better.
“I haven’t asked for a trade. That’s up to management, what personnel they want around and what changes they want to make to the team. So, I just show up and work hard and try to help everyone get better, help this team get wins.”
White, 28, is a pending unrestricted free agent this summer, but doesn’t appear to fit in among Detroit’s top blue liners, according to head coach Mike Babcock.
In 15 games this season, White has one goal and one assist and is a minus-one. He is also coming off a 32-point regular season in 2011-12 for the Red Wings.
He recently expressed the need to stay positive, but admitted last week that “…it’s really a frustrating time.”
The Red Wings play the Oilers Friday and will then travel to Vancouver for a Saturday night showdown with the Canucks.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)