Mar 1, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like defenseman Ian White is on the verge of returning to the Red Wings’ lineup.
White has been a healthy scratch the past two Detroit games — a 2-1 loss Wednesday in Los Angeles, followed by a 2-1 shootout win last night in San Jose.
Meanwhile, Wings coach Mike Babcock is liking what he’s seeing from his blue-liners.
“I liked the fact that the D was big,” Babcock said, per MLive.com. “They could skate and they went back and got pucks and paid the price to move it and get it out. Did we make some mistakes? Absolutely. But I thought it was the best group that we had all year.”
Even worse for White’s prospects of getting back into action, Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) could reportedly be cleared to play by Sunday.
White, 28, is in the final year of a two-year, $5.75 million contract.
Detroit hosts Chicago Sunday afternoon (on NBC).
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)