Mar 15, 2013, 4:41 PM EST
A couple of weeks ago, Aaron Volpatti was on waivers. Tomorrow afternoon, he’ll be on the Capitals’ top line.
That’s the word from the Washington Times, which reports the physical winger that the Canucks recently tried (and failed) to send to the minors will be skating with Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin against the Bruins in Boston.
Playing with two offensive-minded players presents a big challenge for 27-year-old Volpatti, who’s played just 58 career NHL games.
“Obviously I’ve got to be good defensively with those two guys,” he said. “If I’m the high guy I’ve got to make sure I stay the high guy. I’m just going to try and be physical and create some room for them. Don’t change too much here.”
Volpatti had an assist, his first point as a Cap, and four hits in Thursday’s 3-2 come-from-behind victory in Carolina.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 82
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 91
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 102
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (119)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (103)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (91)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (91)