Mar 15, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Aaron Volpatti was on waivers. Tomorrow afternoon, he’ll be on the Capitals’ top line.
That’s the word from the Washington Times, which reports the physical winger that the Canucks recently tried (and failed) to send to the minors will be skating with Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin against the Bruins in Boston.
Playing with two offensive-minded players presents a big challenge for 27-year-old Volpatti, who’s played just 58 career NHL games.
“Obviously I’ve got to be good defensively with those two guys,” he said. “If I’m the high guy I’ve got to make sure I stay the high guy. I’m just going to try and be physical and create some room for them. Don’t change too much here.”
Volpatti had an assist, his first point as a Cap, and four hits in Thursday’s 3-2 come-from-behind victory in Carolina.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)