Mar 15, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Aaron Volpatti was on waivers. Tomorrow afternoon, he’ll be on the Capitals’ top line.
That’s the word from the Washington Times, which reports the physical winger that the Canucks recently tried (and failed) to send to the minors will be skating with Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin against the Bruins in Boston.
Playing with two offensive-minded players presents a big challenge for 27-year-old Volpatti, who’s played just 58 career NHL games.
“Obviously I’ve got to be good defensively with those two guys,” he said. “If I’m the high guy I’ve got to make sure I stay the high guy. I’m just going to try and be physical and create some room for them. Don’t change too much here.”
Volpatti had an assist, his first point as a Cap, and four hits in Thursday’s 3-2 come-from-behind victory in Carolina.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)