Mar 15, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Aaron Volpatti was on waivers. Tomorrow afternoon, he’ll be on the Capitals’ top line.
That’s the word from the Washington Times, which reports the physical winger that the Canucks recently tried (and failed) to send to the minors will be skating with Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin against the Bruins in Boston.
Playing with two offensive-minded players presents a big challenge for 27-year-old Volpatti, who’s played just 58 career NHL games.
“Obviously I’ve got to be good defensively with those two guys,” he said. “If I’m the high guy I’ve got to make sure I stay the high guy. I’m just going to try and be physical and create some room for them. Don’t change too much here.”
Volpatti had an assist, his first point as a Cap, and four hits in Thursday’s 3-2 come-from-behind victory in Carolina.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5