Mar 15, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, Aaron Volpatti was on waivers. Tomorrow afternoon, he’ll be on the Capitals’ top line.
That’s the word from the Washington Times, which reports the physical winger that the Canucks recently tried (and failed) to send to the minors will be skating with Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin against the Bruins in Boston.
Playing with two offensive-minded players presents a big challenge for 27-year-old Volpatti, who’s played just 58 career NHL games.
“Obviously I’ve got to be good defensively with those two guys,” he said. “If I’m the high guy I’ve got to make sure I stay the high guy. I’m just going to try and be physical and create some room for them. Don’t change too much here.”
Volpatti had an assist, his first point as a Cap, and four hits in Thursday’s 3-2 come-from-behind victory in Carolina.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)