Mar 1, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
In hindsight, if they’d known Kesler had a broken foot, they could have put him on injured reserve, thus freeing up a roster spot to keep Volpatti, who’d been waived in part to free up a roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto.
“We didn’t know [Kesler] had the broken foot (when we put Volpatti on waivers),” Gillis said, per The Province. “We knew it was sore.
“We didn’t have a chance to pull [Volpatti] back.”
Gillis maintains the Canucks wanted Volpatti to work on his game down in the minors anyway, but clearly they weren’t happy to see him claimed by the Capitals.
“We were hoping to get him through because we saw some upside with Aaron,” said Gillis. “We like him as a player and as a person.”
In response to losing Volpatti, the Canucks claimed forward Tom Sestito off waivers from Philadelphia today.
“He’s a big guy,” said Gillis. “He plays aggressively. He has upside. And, so, when we lost Aaron, we wanted to find that as quickly as possible.”
The Canucks host Los Angeles tomorrow having won just twice in their last seven games. They were smoked, 8-3, in Detroit on Sunday and lost, 4-2, at home to Phoenix Tuesday.
All of a sudden, Vancouver’s lead in the Northwest Division is a slim two points over second-place Minnesota.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 42
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)