Mar 1, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
In hindsight, if they’d known Kesler had a broken foot, they could have put him on injured reserve, thus freeing up a roster spot to keep Volpatti, who’d been waived in part to free up a roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto.
“We didn’t know [Kesler] had the broken foot (when we put Volpatti on waivers),” Gillis said, per The Province. “We knew it was sore.
“We didn’t have a chance to pull [Volpatti] back.”
Gillis maintains the Canucks wanted Volpatti to work on his game down in the minors anyway, but clearly they weren’t happy to see him claimed by the Capitals.
“We were hoping to get him through because we saw some upside with Aaron,” said Gillis. “We like him as a player and as a person.”
In response to losing Volpatti, the Canucks claimed forward Tom Sestito off waivers from Philadelphia today.
“He’s a big guy,” said Gillis. “He plays aggressively. He has upside. And, so, when we lost Aaron, we wanted to find that as quickly as possible.”
The Canucks host Los Angeles tomorrow having won just twice in their last seven games. They were smoked, 8-3, in Detroit on Sunday and lost, 4-2, at home to Phoenix Tuesday.
All of a sudden, Vancouver’s lead in the Northwest Division is a slim two points over second-place Minnesota.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)