Mar 1, 2013, 5:35 PM EDT
In hindsight, if they’d known Kesler had a broken foot, they could have put him on injured reserve, thus freeing up a roster spot to keep Volpatti, who’d been waived in part to free up a roster spot for Steve Pinizzotto.
“We didn’t know [Kesler] had the broken foot (when we put Volpatti on waivers),” Gillis said, per The Province. “We knew it was sore.
“We didn’t have a chance to pull [Volpatti] back.”
Gillis maintains the Canucks wanted Volpatti to work on his game down in the minors anyway, but clearly they weren’t happy to see him claimed by the Capitals.
“We were hoping to get him through because we saw some upside with Aaron,” said Gillis. “We like him as a player and as a person.”
In response to losing Volpatti, the Canucks claimed forward Tom Sestito off waivers from Philadelphia today.
“He’s a big guy,” said Gillis. “He plays aggressively. He has upside. And, so, when we lost Aaron, we wanted to find that as quickly as possible.”
The Canucks host Los Angeles tomorrow having won just twice in their last seven games. They were smoked, 8-3, in Detroit on Sunday and lost, 4-2, at home to Phoenix Tuesday.
All of a sudden, Vancouver’s lead in the Northwest Division is a slim two points over second-place Minnesota.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)