Mar 10, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
The Penguins maintain that he’s suffering from an upper-body injury (but not a concussion, at least not yet).
Malkin, 26, played in three games following a March 4 return from a Feb. 22 concussion before this happened. This latest ailment cropped up thanks to a James van Riemsdyk hit from Saturday. He’s scored 24 points in 21 games in 2013.
Pittsburgh blew out the New York Islanders 6-1 tonight without Malkin.
If you believe that Sidney Crosby and Malkin play even better when one of them is out of the lineup, Sunday’s game advanced that argument; Crosby matched a career-high with five assists while Chris Kunitz had a hat trick tonight.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 121
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (121)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)