Mar 10, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
The Penguins maintain that he’s suffering from an upper-body injury (but not a concussion, at least not yet).
Malkin, 26, played in three games following a March 4 return from a Feb. 22 concussion before this happened. This latest ailment cropped up thanks to a James van Riemsdyk hit from Saturday. He’s scored 24 points in 21 games in 2013.
Pittsburgh blew out the New York Islanders 6-1 tonight without Malkin.
If you believe that Sidney Crosby and Malkin play even better when one of them is out of the lineup, Sunday’s game advanced that argument; Crosby matched a career-high with five assists while Chris Kunitz had a hat trick tonight.
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 26
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33