Mar 10, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
The Penguins maintain that he’s suffering from an upper-body injury (but not a concussion, at least not yet).
Malkin, 26, played in three games following a March 4 return from a Feb. 22 concussion before this happened. This latest ailment cropped up thanks to a James van Riemsdyk hit from Saturday. He’s scored 24 points in 21 games in 2013.
Pittsburgh blew out the New York Islanders 6-1 tonight without Malkin.
If you believe that Sidney Crosby and Malkin play even better when one of them is out of the lineup, Sunday’s game advanced that argument; Crosby matched a career-high with five assists while Chris Kunitz had a hat trick tonight.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)