Mar 9, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
The Penguins announced that Malkin, who has already missed time this season with a concussion, sustained an upper-body injury on Saturday. The silver lining is that it’s not a head injury.
Prior to the injury, Malkin registered an assist, giving him 24 points in 21 games.
Even if the injury is minor, the timing of it is inopportune. Following Saturday’s contest, Pittsburgh will play another five games in just eight days. That stretch includes two games against the soaring Boston Bruins and a match versus the New York Rangers.
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 4
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 35
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12