Mar 8, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
The 2013 Chicago Blackhawks are gaining ground on the 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers.
The Blackhawks have gone 24 games without a regulation loss to begin the regular season, and dating back to last March, have gone 30 games without a regulation loss. The Blackhawks are now five back of the record – held by the aforementioned Flyers – as they visit the Colorado Avalanche tonight.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, who played for Philadelphia in those record-setting days, can’t help but be amazed at what the Blackhawks are doing.
“It’s probably a more difficult task now because of the parity in the League,” Holmgren told NHL.com.
“There were teams [in 1979-80] that weren’t great. The parity in the League today makes it very difficult to do what they’re doing and makes it more incredible than anything.
“It’s a different era. I think what they’ve done … it’s a more difficult thing to do today.”
Even more difficult, perhaps, given the injury situation in Chicago.
Marian Hossa, who was a late scratch in Wednesday’s game against Colorado, will be back in the lineup tonight, amid speculation he was held out of the game with a concussion.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 32
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 30
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 104
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (105)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement